Streamlined OW Regulator Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOTE="FreeFlyFreak, post: 8844351, member: 505254" I saw someone diving this set up and it looked very useable, someone else was talking about it on here too. User name was something like Dive Dubai though that can’t be it exactly, as it doesn’t come up as an option to tag.
Of course I couldn’t know if I actually preferred it unless I tried it.[/QUOTE]

You'll be meaning me then:)

Yes, on my main Single tank rig I chose to dive 2 x 40" hoses one under right arm, second under left. Both regs have 90 degrees swivels, and teh Alt is stored on a rubber necklace under my neck which easily pulls away

I have only had do deal with one real panicked diver in almost 1000 dives. That was an AoW student who bolted for no apparent reason, spat their reg and wouldn't accept one of mine.

However my config, with the Alt from the left does allow a sharing diver to swim on my left, or if donating and taking control, then they're in front of me. In both situations the hose naturally routes rather than having an "S" bend as with the conventional system.

I don't subscribe to telling anyone how to dive. However I strongly suggest people think and configure their rig towards the environment and the type of diving that they chose to partake in rather than following fashion.

The chances of seeing an actual OOA diver that is also panicking in normal circumstances would be incredibly rare. And if that rare diver manages to ambush you, then you're not paying attention underwater!

Thus my rig is configured (primarily) to assist (when guiding) or to provide backup to a know buddy in a low air situation.

I'm a firm believer that there is no single perfect set up. I find through actual practical experience that long hose isn't ideal for OW situations especially current. If you lose contact, then you're 6' feet away from the victim.

That said, I do use a long hose config where the situation demands it (overhead or on DPV). I'm a big boy and can switch rigs without a thought.

I'm yet to be convinced that Air 2 is worthwhile, but each to their own

The most important advice I can give, to anyone is practice, and practice again.

When I teach students Con Ed courses, I revise the basic skills. Air Share is always the biggest shambles, whether its an new OW student, or someone turning up for Rescue in a wing and long hose.

I've "drowned" (or died of boredom) more than once waiting for a student to sort their sh1t out and donate to me when I'm "OOA"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom