Streamlined OW Regulator Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you are correct, I did in fact have a senior moment, forgive me. I had in my mind Spare Air, not Air 2 and as I said, was having a senior moment. Yes, I know what an Air 2 is, I have one, lol. Thank you sincerely for the correction as otherwise certain parts do not make sense.

Regardless, the rest remains.

N

Other than the swivel and gag strap, I don't see how this is any different than my 'normal setup' that I've always used. Am I missing something?

One LP hose is a bit shorter. The other LP hose is a bit longer. Which hose do you use to breathe? Which hose do you give away to share? It's a matter of intent.

If you are Air 2 then you would donate the Air 2, not your primary or only. Well, it could go either way but if the Air 2 diver is using a short hose primary, then he/she will be handing off the Air 2, if they are using a long(er) hose 36 inches plus, then they could certainly donate the primary and themselves use the Air 2 for a direct to surface ascent. Air 2s and buddy bottles, pony bottles and auxiliary bottles gets off into another world and is not generally taught as a primary dive configuration by any abc agency, sport or tech oriented.
I disagree. If using AIR2, then the primary is donated. The BC inflate and deflate buttons are on the AIR2, and you don’t want those controls in your buddy’s mouth.

I do agree, however, that it is generally not taught as a primary configuration. I believe it was mentioned in my daughters’ classes as an optional configuration, though. All the other students were on rental gear, though. Still did primary donate.

In a discussion of streamlining, AIR2s should be discussed as that’s a reduction of a hose. Probably not for every situation, but it works for the type of diving I do.

To the OP:
I'm buying a new reg, and in doing some research, I found this DGX Streamlined OW Reg Setup that I'm trying to replicate. Does anyone have any additional resourses regarding the "Streamined OW Setup?" For years I've dived the PADI way with primary over your soulder, and octo under your arm inside the triangle.

I bought the same exact setup from DGX a couple months after my PADI OW course, after much agonizing over different choices. I really like it, am very happy with the purchase, and would highly recommend it to any diver, new or experienced. Recently I decided to give the long hose config a try, and ordered a 7' hose for about $30. Have practiced with it in my apartment, the change felt very natural. Haven't gotten a chance to dive it yet, but am looking forward to it. So if you see yourself wanting to experiment with LH config, you'll already be 90% there, dollar-wise.

Why the changes?
Not sure if you are asking about the history of the config, or the pros and cons vs other configurations -- assuming the latter here, since I'm new to the sport. The main advantage is that your alternate reg is always right by your mouth. If you share gas with a buddy, you donate the primary and then switch to your necklaced alternate, which YOUR backup for YOU. Your buddy will get a reg that they know works (you were using it a second ago), and you get a reg that you definitely know where it is (right by your mouth).

Compared to the config I used in my OW course, there is also no bulky console with compass + SPG + computer, mounted on a hose long enough to use the compass. Wrist-mounted compass and computer is easier to use anyway IMHO, and this shortens the SPG hose by about a foot. Note that the SPG needs to clip somewhere to your BCD. Backplate + wing rigs have a D-ring positioned at the left hip for this. If your BCD doesn't have it, you may need to add one, use a chest D-ring or something else -- consider the routing carefully, you might need a different HP hose length.

Are these generally accepted changes in the community? [...] Considering I am 100% a holiday diver (30 dives/year, twice a year in the Caribbean), will it matter all that much?
In the ScubaBoard community, sure. Or various sub-communities. But the worldwide scuba community, not as much. If you often dive with strangers, then I see this as the main disadvantage. As discussed elsewhere in the thread, you are going off-script from the perspective of your buddy, which probably increases the failure rate in an OOG scenario. Of course if you dive with consistent buddies, this is a non-issue. For me, the upsides outweigh this, but it's worth taking into account.

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps. Let us know how it goes, and be safe out there.

yes, I meant second stage. I still cannot quite tell if it is enough for a hand to fit. That's what I'm getting at.
Seems OK
ANMP0174-1~2.jpg

Yes, you are correct, I did in fact have a senior moment, forgive me. I had in my mind Spare Air, not Air 2 and as I said, was having a senior moment. Yes, I know what an Air 2 is, I have one, lol. Thank you sincerely for the correction as otherwise certain parts do not make sense.

Regardless, the rest remains.

N

Nice to see you again James, was just thinking a few days ago haven't seen you for a bit. Hope all's well.

I trained primary donate for rec OW/AOW/etc. Last year I added the longer (40") hose under the arm. I like it a lot, especially in the local kelp.

I just always make sure that I have a focused conversation with my buddy on three things. By focused I mean a real conversation where we actually pay attention, not talking at each other while we're distracted by something else. I may ask them a question or two and encourage them to do the same.

We go over which reg I will give them, that they may see me switch back and forth from my primary to secondary during a dive, and hand signals. Then we go over their rig so I know where they are carrying "my" regulator, and how to dump weights.

We get a lot of non-local divers in San Diego, some are once-every-two-years divers who cert'ed in warm water. On the other hand, we also get a fair number of cave and New England wreck divers. It evens out.

Back
Top Bottom