"Streamlined" reg setup questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes a crowbar, sometimes a jeweler's screwdriver. The right tool for the job.

To quote @The Chairman - dive and let dive.....
People often wonder why I hardly ever (not never) use an adjustable wrench. For me, it tries to do everything but can never do them well. The same is true for Swiss knives and those multi-tools. If the routing and such makes sense to you, then dive it. It really doesn't have to impress me or anyone else. I have a couple of peculiar setups I dive with often. The biggest argument I hear against them is that no one else dives it that way. I use a double reg bungee on my sidemount and put weight pockets (with 4lbs) on the back of any Al tank when I sidemount. Anathema to some, but they do well for me. Really well. However, if I spot a better solution you can be sure I'll steal that right away. I have drawers full of stuff I don't dive anymore, and most of them have fond memories associated with them. My diving has always been an evolution.

I have a 40" under the arm with a 90 degree swivel and an Air2. I was thinking of going to a longer hose. I'm no fan of anything around my neck. I was with a DM in Cozumel for most of a week and she had the 7 foot hose and two bungees around her tank. Hose routed from first stage, looped under the bungees under her right arm and straight to her mouth. To deploy it as a primary donate she could just hand it off. In a less formal situation with a panicked diver just grabbing it still deploys smoothly with no worries about the hose around your neck. I think that's where I might end up.

I don't know... They make great hammers.
Sometimes you want framing, sometimes reflex, sometimes deadblow, sometimes soft face...

Re: streamlined setups. I love my streamlined OW setup. 40" hose with xs scuba swivel on the primary. That swivel has no set screw to worry about, it's pressed together and won't come apart. I avoid the swivels with screws, although they are less expensive and have more range of motion, they're also a greater risk of failure and good enough is good enough on range. Air2 in place of power inflator. Hoseless AI. Results in my primary regulator going under my right armpit. Proper length hose for the air2, and that's it. I did this setup with a 45' elbow before I got the swivel - that worked okay but the swivel is better. No other hoses coming off of you. IMO this setup can't be beat. It really feels great to dive. Now with any primary donate setup, you've got to tell your buddy all about it if you're not diving with the same partner.

Sure, some people eschew Hoseless air integration and/or air2 type devices. I find them to work very well.

Sometimes you want framing, sometimes reflex, sometimes deadblow, sometimes soft face...

Re: streamlined setups. I love my streamlined OW setup. 40" hose with xs scuba swivel on the primary. That swivel has no set screw to worry about, it's pressed together and won't come apart. I avoid the swivels with screws, although they are less expensive and have more range of motion, they're also a greater risk of failure and good enough is good enough on range. Air2 in place of power inflator. Hoseless AI. Results in my primary regulator going under my right armpit. Proper length hose for the air2, and that's it. I did this setup with a 45' elbow before I got the swivel - that worked okay but the swivel is better. No other hoses coming off of you. IMO this setup can't be beat. It really feels great to dive. Now with any primary donate setup, you've got to tell your buddy all about it if you're not diving with the same partner.

Sure, some people eschew Hoseless air integration and/or air2 type devices. I find them to work very well.
Yep. I counter air integration is safer as failure means no reading at all. I want no reading rather than a false one. Keep the SPG in the dive bag just in case. After a few hundred dives of wireless AI with never an issue I am convinced the SPG is vintage gear.

Sidebar: I use and like AI. The one thing I don't like is that a pressurized system is running/draining a battery on the transmitter. Sometimes I like to leak test by letting it sit overnight, charged, but tank off.

Back to discussion...

As is said, never force it, get a bigger hammer...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom