Stretching fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laura1981

New
Reaction score
I wanted to get a pair of fins I could wear with and without drysuit, and I really liked the Mares X-streams.

My drysuit has socks, so I got Mares trilaminate 5mm boots in a size 8 for no drysuit, and size 10 with the drysuit. I therefore also bought Medium X-stream fins. The length of the foot pocket is ideal for both, and I could also get away with some thinner boots for warm water if I like. However, with undersocks, drysuits socks and boots, if I push my foot as far as I should be doing, the foot pocket is very tight around my foot, and there is still plenty space by my toes. It's not quite so bad if I wear only very thin socks underneath, but not sure that will always be warm enough, and I am very prone to footcramp as it is. Also the tightness doesn't help for cramp.

I did try the XL, they were far too big for no drysuit/size 8, and probably still on the big side for the drysuit/size 10s.

I suppose I could get some thinner soled boots - but not thats not ideal if I end up doing more shore diving, as I most likely will if I dive in the UK more.

I REALLY like the X-stream fins, and don't want to return them.

Will they stretch a little with use?

Is there anything I can do to stretch them a little bit??? :idk:

It seems kind of odd to me that someone wearing size 10 Mares boots can't fit into medium fins (although the length of the fin is perfect). I know there is the neoprene sock too, but thats only 4mm. Plus, being female, my feet are low in volume relative to a male with the same length of foot.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your note and sorry for the delayed response. I have been away for awhile. The foot pockets may stretch a little in time, but my guess is probably not enough. As a general rule of thumb it is hard to find a fin that will fit both, drysuit and non. I wish I had a better answer for you. We have one of the better footpockets in the industry and generally are able to accomodate most people and their needs with one of the three sizes, unfortunately they aren't flexible enough to cover multiple foot protection options with one fin. Due to the three size options, it is also reasonable to expect the scenario you are finding. I thank you for your purchase and hope this helps.

Best regards,

Zak

Hi, I know this was ages ago, but just wanted to say thanks for the response. I've ended up buying the fins in two sizes, they are nice fins, and in fact, they will wear half as fast because there are two sets (if that makes sense) so its not really spending extra money if I keep them till they are worn out (sort of).

Back
Top Bottom