Strobe for Olympus Olympus 5060 and PT-020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGil

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,
After my first experience with underwater photography I got hooked :D.

So now that I am an aspiring addict :wink:I want to expand my equipment.

My question is this:
What strobe should I purchase for use with my Olympus 5060 and PT-020 housing. The crux of the matter is that I want a strobe that will work well for me now and could continue with me once I move to a DSLR setup (most likely I will take my Canon D20) once I become a full blown addict as opposed to an aspiring addict. I would like to add that I'm an experienced diver and land based photographer so complex photo settings don't frighten me.

Thanks in advance for all you help.

I love my Inon strobes and have used them with my Canon A series/Canon housings, Oly 5050/PT015 housing and now with my Subal/Canon 20D setup. They are light, flexible and powerful.

Ikelite would be my second choice.

Talk to Ryan at ryan@reefphoto.com or if you are happy to order from Japan - Yuzo is who I use there -> info@naturephoto.jp.co

Check out the Pink Link in my signature for more tidbits on strobes - there are some very helpful links there, too.

I have the same set up and went with a Sea & Sea YS 90 Auto. If I had waited another month I could have gotten (and would now get) the Sea & Sea YS 110. It's almost the same as the YS 90 but has a faster receyle time and a laser pointer so you can see where you're pointing the stobe at, which is a real problem for me.

Any way you go, your pics will imporve greatly and you'll have more fun. Less money, but more fun. :p

Good luck

Maybe consider replacing the bulkhead with one from Matthias - http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/blitz/indexe.htm so that you can hard wire your strobe for TTL.

The Inon Z240 , Sea & Sea 110 or the Ikelite DS 125 are probably the strobes of choice at the moment. Any of these will suit your needs later.

I have a 5060 also with a PT-020 housing and have been contemplating buying a strobe for months. I've settled on the Inon D-2000 (with the focus light) and the Ultralight Control Systems tray/arm setup. I've yet to read anything but positive comments on the Inon. Reef Photo has a nice package with this setup for $855, though I would upgrade the arms to a 5" & 8" for another $16. I don't think you can go wrong with this rig.
Kevin

My only suggestion would be that the D2000 gives you a choice of the hardwired "W" or the "S" which is optically fired. The Z-240 and the YS-110 will do both, so if you decide to use a hotshoe to fire the strobe, you can. I just got the H/W converter for my SP-350 and the YS-110 strobe. It seems to work beautifully so far with just indoor practice shots and a couple in the pool.

Back
Top Bottom