Strobes that work with the RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I did some further tests and the sea and sea Ys-01 works fine in TTL (I managed also to see the green light) recycle time is very good unless you shoot a full dump in a very dark scene

Strobes that work in optical TTL with RX100

Sea and Sea
  • YS-01
  • YS-D1
Inon: all inon strobes work

Strobes that work in manual: all those with pre-flash cancellation. Setting flash exposure compensation to -2 helps strobe recycle

If anything has others to add please feel free

thanks for this info. have you compared the ys-01 vs s-2000 with the rx100? im deciding which one to go with but they are so close in performance (spec-wise) that i don't want to make a wrong decision. is the focus light a huge selling point for the ys-01? im a wide-angle guy and hardly ever do macro.

I have not used the S2000 so can't specifically comment other than the fact that the YS-01 is more powerful despite similar specs if I look at people that have tested it in water. A few f-stop more can't be a bad thing

Focus lights on strobe are pretty useless as you don't aim where your strobe is pointing, I have never used the feature on the YS-01 and was not the reason why I bought it
As mentioned before the selling point for me was Guide Number per $ spent

Like you I see the reef in wide angle! While both the 01 and S2000 are decent strobes I would spend the extra money and get the YS-D1 with a guide number of 32 vs. 20! If you really want to have flexibility in your shooting you will need their power, especially if you add one of the wide angle lenses. Not a great shot but this was a massive fan and the goal was to get the sun on the surface in the shot without it being blown-out. To do this I had the ISO at 200, f/8 and Shutter Speed at 600, strobes on 90% with the 120 degree diffusers. The YS-01 or S2000 would struggle getting this shot, IMHO.

Thats an incredible picture. I love the angle of your shot. I've been reading up all day and had decided on the D1 until I read the many reports of its premature failure and having to send multiple times for exchanges. The other alternative is the inon 240z but pricey.

Everyone I know who was the YS-D1 loves it (including myself). Many of them were recalled due to a fairly major software issue, which was very unfortunate, but that problem is now in the past, and from what I can tell all of the current strobes being sold work fantastic. - Scott

I just got my Sony RX100 today and tonight I will order a Nauticam housing for it.
The place where I am getting my Nauticam housing also has strobes and trays...but what should I get?
As for strobes they have the INON Z-240, the Sea and Sea YS-D1, Fantasea Nano and the whole range of SOLA lights.
As I would like to do both stills and some video I am considering starting with one strobe and one light for video.

I am very happy with my YS-D1... I originally ordered just one for my trip to Dominica and promptly ordered a second. Now my rig is complete!

Sony RX100
Nauticam NA-RX100 housing
2 x Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobe
Light & Motion Sola 1200 photo/video light
Ultralight handle and arms

I also ordered the Bluewater Photo WA-110 wide angle, Dyron +7 macro lens... And I got it all from Scott at Bluewater Photo, Video & Underwater Cameras! Fantastic service!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8324/8427835611_4cbbfe1b65_c.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom