Struggling with weighting issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shame you're limiting yourself to only warm H2O diving. NJ has some of the best diving around. Granted its a bit colder H2O and the sealife isn't always as colorful, but it can be quite tasty.

Since you dive a Scout, would you recommend putting the weights in the BC or getting a weight belt?

I find I can get away with up to 10 lbs in the back of the Scout, anything more and I start to turtle (go belly up). Unless I am diving dry (22lbs) or a heavy wetsuit 10-15 lbs, I put it all in the BC Warm water I am only using 4-6 lbs in salt and 0-4 in fresh so turtleing is not an issue.

Maybe I would if the wife would join me, but in all honesty I love the warm water ;-)

I love warm H2O myself but live up here for now. In order to get my normal diving fix I need to be able and dive up here.

broc,

I'm about your size and use a Scout. With a full 4/3 mil and 9 lbs in the trim pockets I will start to turtle (in fresh water). I think that's a combination of weight placement and wetsuit so you may not have that issue. 2# hard weights zip-tied end to end fit very nicely in the trim pockets. 1# soft weights in a cut-up water bottle work well also. You can use zip ties to snug up the soft weights so they don't shift around in the bottle.

boat

Last edited:
If the water is 78+ I just wear board shorts and can dive comfortable for 45 min. Anything beyond that is pushing it.

A 20oF differential between the water and your body temperature will chill you. You may not be uncomfortable, but you will experience the physiological effects of "being cold" after not very long. Especially if doing multiple dives.

Last edited:
I dive an Escape, a Ranger and the Omega line, all weight integrated. If your BC is weight integrated with a reliable dump system, why would you want to wear a weight belt? When you get to your trip location, experiment with weight placement. In the front pockets vs tank/trim weights (does the Scout have these) until you have a good dive profilein the water, and are comfortable.
Since you dive a Scout, would you recommend putting the weights in the BC or getting a weight belt?

The Scout does not have weight pockets - it only has a pair of trim pockets on the back. If your diving allows you to use 8-10 lbs or less weight, it can be carried in the trim pockets. If you need more, you'll have to find another way to carry it. The trim pockets will actually hold more than 10 lbs, but putting more than that in them tends to make one 'turtle', or roll upside down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom