Stupid me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my buddy and I need to actually breathe from our secondaries each dive before jumping in. And we need to practice buddy breathing. And another good reason to buy a "good" reg for the secondary, not just "something that works".

Someone correct me if they feel I'm wrong but I believe there is a philosophy amongst more experienced divers that your octo should actually be "cheap". What I mean by that is not "poorly made" but rather of a very simple design. For instance, it should not be a balanced design. Balanced designed regs are not built to be more reliable, but rather to be easier to breathe off. This makes your diving more comfortable and you're less prone to fatigue and headaches. However, in an emergency you want theoretically most reliable regulator, which would be unbalanced. I think a lot of equipment companies actually design their setups w. unbalanced octos (for instance Scubapro uses the R190 a lot) for this reason.

I've seen people suggest that high-end second stages should be used as octos because "in an emergency, wouldn't you want the best?" But I don't think they realize why high-end seconds are high-end.

It's possible I misunderstood your comment but thought I'd throw this out there in case I didn't.

Someone correct me if they feel I'm wrong but I believe there is a philosophy amongst more experienced divers that your octo should actually be "cheap". What I mean by that is not "poorly made" but rather of a very simple design. For instance, it should not be a balanced design.

Not necessarily, but a sensitive high-performance 2nd stage may need to be "detuned" to some extent if it's prone to free flowing when it's not in your mouth. I think what you mean is the same. It doesn't need to be "cheap" it just needs to not free flow.

R..

It's possible I misunderstood your comment but thought I'd throw this out there in case I didn't.

You didn't, and thanks. That is a consideration I had not thought of. I like the comments about breathing off the alternate air supply during each dive.

Be honest -- how many times have you tested your secondary air supply before entering the water? I know in my 50+ dives, I have only put it in my mouth and breathed from it when the instructor told me to do so. Usually I just "test" it by purging it. :no:

Last night after the manta ray night dive I came back to the boat, there was alot of surge and near the ladder I wanted my reg while I was taking off my fins. Couldn't find it so what the heck I grabbed my octo and -- could not breathe from it! :confused: Maybe it was because I was low on air -- just under 500 lbs.

I think my buddy and I need to actually breathe from our secondaries each dive before jumping in. And we need to practice buddy breathing. And another good reason to buy a "good" reg for the secondary, not just "something that works".

Great dive BTW - 10 rays and the largest was 14' they said.

- Bill
Honestly, I test my secondary before every single dive. I make sure whatever buddy I'm with does too. What's the point of even having it if you don't know you can trust it to work if/when you need it?

Agreed on the manta dive... totally worth it.

I don't think anyone really mentioned this but... It is probably more important to test the regulator with the air turned OFF. If you get air when sucking then the second stage is cracked, the diaphram is messed up, the exhaust valve(s) are fouled etc. If you breath off the reg on the boat when the reg is turned on, none of these problems will be evident, unless there is "a big part missing".

Sucking on the regs before they are turned on (then exhaling through them) and pressing the purge button after the reg is turned on and checking the spg is probably quicker and more useful.

Since when I started taking the DM course I have been checking both 2nd stages before every dive. Before that I always checked the primary on a boat dive, but rarely on a shore dive, as you can just walk back out. I think there are a lot of safety things that a lot of divers skip or gloss over until (if they do) they get further training, or have an incident.

I do always breathe from my octo and primary second stage regulators. I donate my primary and switch to my octo. If my octo does not work it isn't the panic diver's problem. It is my problem.

Also, intermediate pressure is typically 145 PSI. Some regulators are as high as 170 PSI. Your gauge could be off a little. So it might read 500 PSI but actually be 450 - 400 PSI. Now if it is reading 200 PSI and you octo needs 170 PSI, you might have trouble.

Each time I dive pool or OW both 2nd are breath tested.

155 certifications in 2012 so that's lot of 3 breath test.....

Be honest -- how many times have you tested your secondary air supply before entering the water? I know in my 50+ dives, I have only put it in my mouth and breathed from it when the instructor told me to do so. Usually I just "test" it by purging it. :no:

Last night after the manta ray night dive I came back to the boat, there was alot of surge and near the ladder I wanted my reg while I was taking off my fins. Couldn't find it so what the heck I grabbed my octo and -- could not breathe from it! :confused: Maybe it was because I was low on air -- just under 500 lbs.

Great dive BTW - 10 rays and the largest was 14' they said.

- Bill

Every time... and my pony too!!! lee

I prefer to keep my regs indentical and identically tuned, but with a spring adjustment that I can use to harden the secondary. I've had good luck with it, and I like both the interchangeability and knowing that in an emergency I'll have something I like breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom