Stupid mouse ate a hole in my dive bag and BC!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I helped kick a mouse problem last year... we used peanut butter baited mouse traps and left a few plates of Warafin out (which had to be filled every few days, I think they were storing most of it.. they took enough of the stuff to kill alot of rodents)

Got'er done though :) Best of luck.

The ultrasonic type controllers work very well, as an alternative. They drove the critters out of the house, and didn't bother the dog or cats. I found a 4 pack at a local hardware store for $45 or so.
Yeah, I deployed a set of those. Some upstairs, some downstairs. Had absolutely no effect ):

I'd suggest deploying tactical nukes to take them out.

Hey, it may cause some collateral damage, but you gotta be sure! :D

But maybe that's just my military background influencing my thought pattern?

Howard Tayler, who draws the online comic, Schlock Mercenary, has the perfect poster for this topic, here..

As to using Snickers for bait, they will steal any sizeable amount of it. What I use, though, are the Victor brand "snap-traps" with the metal trigger tab. The tab has a curl of metal on the outside edge, and you can stuff just enough of the caramel and nougat inside that tab, with just a trace on the outside, that it drives the little boogers crazy trying to get it.

I had a mouse get into my lab at work. Technically, I'm supposed to call Facilities Services and have them dispatch an exterminator, but I brought a couple of the Victor traps to work, baited as described, and I had the sucker within a half-hour.

Mine LOVE peanuts! (actually all nuts). That's why the snickers works so well. Myself, I have had tremendous success with a string tied to the trap trip mechanism then rub peanut butter on this. They will try to eat the string. They wont get very far.
In my office I've seen professionals use those sticky traps and put a spot of peanut butter in the middle to attract them (I cant tell you how many times we'd have mice alive and stuck trying desperately to escape from those traps).
Good luck and try different traps. Mice are smart. After seeing a few of their comrades fall to a trap it can become a little less affective.
PS: I agree with the cat thing.

When I went diving in Hurghada I stored my gear in the dive shops locker. The next morning, while getting ready for the dive I noticed that I had a bad seal on my brand new prescription mask....you got it, a mouse ate thru my mask box and ate away a good part of the skirt :sad

I know, kind of gross, but I wore a rental wet suit (gasp) , and I swear a mouse chewed a hole through the whole crotch area, or it was a couple joining the 60 ft deep club, or whatever ya'll call it, -even grosser- but it sure was cold in La Jolla with all that water coming in.

I dont know how you do it out there Dr Bill. :D

I for one would rather have the mice than a cat - how you know the cat will perform? every cat i know is either too fat or lazy to mess with a mouse - most of the time they end up buddies...then you got TWO problems...

Last spring I pulled my pontoon boat out to get it ready for the season..everything was going great - washed it down, fired it up and ran it for a while - turned the key to shut it off - kept running...had to pull the plug wires - got to investigating - found a chewed area on the harness where it passed thru the deck - all he chewed through was the one wire that shorted the system and shut the motor down...spliced it and got to lookoing at my PFD locker - lost about three jackets where it tunneled thru and made nests from the stuffing - then they pee'd all over the rest of the vests---- oh yeah, evidently a few cats spent some time in there too, cat hair all over - but did they mess with the mice? noooooooo.

This thread is about pest control and I don't see a scuba-related question, either. It belongs into the "Whine and Cheeze" section of ScubaBoard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom