Stupid question about Atomic Aquatics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Innovative Scuba makes spring straps. I'm not sure what "normal" is. I guess you are referring to the fin stud size? I think that Atomic uses a "small" stud. This kit uses the original plastic buckle:

By normal spring straps I mean these Dive Machine PADI Scuba Diving Equipment Easy Fin Springs

From what I have seen, these will not fit the atomics. $65 to ship a little pair of fin straps also looks a little steep for me so...

What now? settle for smokes? go for the lime green and give up the springs?

colour or straps?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

The smokes have a special spring. It looks like a rectangular coil instead of round and a compound spring. The new Apollos also have different length spring straps depending on the size of the fin.

I would buy the Smokes but admittedly, was never a fan of lime green anyway. I do like june bugs though, go figure. Kids tie a bit of thread to a leg and watch that green bug go.

It's not so much the spring, its the fitting. Could I get an 'ordinary' spring strap into the buckle of an Appollo fin?

Thanks

Michael

No, you need the Innovative type with snap male designed to fit into the Atomic female snap buckle or the type which does not include the snap but do include a pin and spacers which attach to the male snap, or the Manta type which includes a "clip" (keyhole plate) which slips directly over the stud and eliminates the plastic pieces altogether. I bought the latter because I do not trust plastic buckles. It had little to do with "springs" actually.

That is interesting, I have four sizes in stock, Small, Medium, large, and X-large. The spring stock is different lengths for each.

The spring straps have 3 adjustment points between the two ends of the strap.

1. Both ends inner-most setting.
  2. One end inner-most setting, one end outer-most setting.
  3. Both ends on outer-most setting.
Atomic probably pre-adjusted them but you can adjust them to any of the three settings. Simply remove the screws from the plastic connection point on either end of the strap.

Earlier, I spoke about the Innovative Pro spring strap and showed a picture of the DIY installed safety wire. I find that Innovative now offers the "Pro Diver" strap which includes a cross bolt. They call it a screw and grommet system and does what my wires do but probably better. Some big discounts on these. Including "comfort" pad, pull tab and SS buckle (keyhole plate), $30. Apparently, not offered for Atomic.

As to Atomic, the simple swap out the spring only style seems like a good bet. Innovative supplies extra pins if needed. Diver uses plastic pieces supplied with original rubber strap.

It is hard to believe that a $60 charge would be levied on a shipment to UK. I bought three 100m spools of 3mm polyester/spectra line from a company in NEW ZEALAND which included a $25 charge for shipping to USA. I shipped a 25 lb, large box to Australia for about $100, parcel post.

I know its all about the deal and that green is gold, even if it is lime green.

There are quite a few Atomic spring strap options out there, when looking at the spring straps it's just always good to make sure that the specifically state Atomic because of the smaller post they use. Most fins with standard posts can be made to work if the post doesn't quite jive, but the Atomics are another ball game. I think that the Atomic spring straps are the nicest, they just pop right on and adjust to whatever size you need giving you a finger loop for easy removal and a heel pad for comfort + their variable pitch spring. The XS Scuba's would be next on my list, they will work on tons of fins and have a nice steel plate to mount to the Atomic splits that has the "Screw and grommet system" to keep the plate in place once mounted and a pull tab to help take them on / off. For simplicity Manta offers their strap, no plate, no pull-tab just a spring and an "S" link that is bent right onto the post of the fin.

I appreciate the serious effort by XS Scuba to get all technical but I prefer the rec strap style with pad and pull loop. However, I also like strong attaching hardware. Look at the springs on the Apollo Biofin XT. That thing is comfortable and is literally bolted to the fins. Next best is probably the steel hinge plate offered by XS Scuba and Innovative. However, I looked around and could not find a hinge plate mount with comfort pad and pull loop to fit the Atomic. If all this stuff is part of the package we find it only fits "regular" fins with large stud. Fall back is to get the Innovative with plastic hardware to fit the Atomic snap buckle. Fall, fall back is to get the Innovative with no hardware and just pin the Innovative spring to the Atomics plastic parts. Cost is another thing. To buy XS Scuba's system is to buy the whole kit for twice the money. Even so, the cost is not huge but the spring with wound string and cheap cover is a turn off. Can someone with gloves get a grip on that thing? How about when seas are high and frothy, the diver is getting thrown about and trying to climb the ladder? I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom