Stupid question from a non-cave-diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
I have 5 buddies that took their Cave 1 down in Mexico. They said the water was so clear the other divers looked like they were floating in air.

http://www.mossmanscuba.com/reports.php?report=49

(Check the Report for May 27th, 2005, it has the underwater pics)

Yes indeed....

...cave diving [to me] is some of the most serene diving there is.... simply incredible!!

Here's a couple exiting Dos Ojos this year:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/31017/cat/500/ppuser/2644
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/31016/cat/500/ppuser/2644

And of course, my avatar and profile pics were taken in caves!!! :D

TSandM, your husband was right, nothing to see in them caves....stay where you are! :sgrin:

Well, Jason, that may be part of the husband agenda for saying you can't see anything in a cave . . . keeping me out of them!

TSandM:
Well, Jason, that may be part of the husband agenda for saying you can't see anything in a cave . . . keeping me out of them!
He's looking out for his wallet no doubt.
It really is amazing underground!!

Please explain to me, in simple terms if you can for people like me who are physics impaired, how using several (let's say 4?) focused HID lights will light up a cave so that the single diver can see the huge stalagmites/tites in the "cathedral" atmosphere of the photographs?

Is there enough defraction/dispersal of the light to get the whole image or is it just a series of mental snapshots?

When I've been in a dry cave, unless there has been a general light source, only that which is directly lit is viewable. And watching the HID's underwater at night (or otherwise in the dark), the illumination has been pretty darn focused.

Obviously there is much to see in caves, but, without a general light source, how is it seen?

Peter Guy:
Please explain to me, in simple terms if you can for people like me who are physics impaired, how using several (let's say 4?) focused HID lights will light up a cave so that the single diver can see the huge stalagmites/tites in the "cathedral" atmosphere of the photographs?

Is there enough defraction/dispersal of the light to get the whole image or is it just a series of mental snapshots?

When I've been in a dry cave, unless there has been a general light source, only that which is directly lit is viewable. And watching the HID's underwater at night (or otherwise in the dark), the illumination has been pretty darn focused.

Obviously there is much to see in caves, but, without a general light source, how is it seen?

In caves with whiter walls, there is a pretty fair amount of reflective lighting going on. Also, in caves with shorter ceiling heights, I've found that if I shine mine light upward at an angle, I get some nice soft "ambient" lighting, especially where air has collected in pockets/crevices and forms an nice "mirror".

The darker walled caves DO seem to suck up the light and only what is pointed at is seen.

bob

Peter Guy:

I started thinking about that, myself. Its suprizingly bright in there. The light reflecting off on the white limestone and refracting through the bubbles on the celing, pluss the little bit of extra spread that comes with trying to focus a light beam, all of this from 2 or 3 divers makes for a decent amount of light.

In really big rooms it can get pretty dark and the "mental snapshot" you're talking about comes into play. Still, the hugh monoliths and the walls are amazing. Sometimes the light gets swallowed up (Hospital hole is a good example. Its just dark there) or if its really silty, obviously.

I don't know about Mexico, but thats my Florida experiance. :14:

wb416:
ummmm.... you might want to check her profile... she's an ER doc, and probably has a healthy wallet of her own! :D

I'm sure so Bob.
I was poking fun at a thread in the DIR forum by TSandM on wanting new gear (long hose and such) but husband didn't see the need for. An attempt at a joke that failed obviously.:D

Jason B:
I'm sure so Bob.
I was poking fun at a thread in the DIR forum by TSandM on wanting new gear (long hose and such) but husband didn't see the need for. An attempt at a joke that failed obviously.:D

no worries!... that's why I used a big grinning smiley 'cause I liked the humour and irony of your statement!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom