Stupid question from a non-cave-diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416:
The darker walled caves DO seem to suck up the light and only what is pointed at is seen.

bob

PIII comes to mind....:evil:

Jason B:
PIII comes to mind....:evil:

I hate that I know what this means... and won't get to see it for years probably. :(

i feel your pain, perrone...

wb416:
That's one of the best examples of dark walls I've seen this year, although Manatee was very dark also. Seemed like our 18W lights did nothing but show the line.

P3 is a great dive. When the water is turbid it makes things look darker than they are...sounds kind of strange, I know, but what I've noticed is that even though it seems "dark"you can still see quit a bit. I love the view from the jump to Henley's!

Go buy the IMAX DVD "Journey into Amazing Caves". The UW cave sequence is about the closest I've seen to what it's really like while cave diving in Mexico... I know they did it with a billion watts of lighting, but the eye's much more versitile than the camera, so the resultant effect of all the lighting is very close to what it's like as a diver in a team.

They don't do justice to the "elusive halocline" though. Now *there's* a special effect that Hollywood hasn't discovered yet!

Roak

roakey:
Go buy the IMAX DVD "Journey into Amazing Caves". The UW cave sequence is about the closest I've seen to what it's really like while cave diving in Mexico... I know they did it with a billion watts of lighting, but the eye's much more versitile than the camera, so the resultant effect of all the lighting is very close to what it's like as a diver in a team.

They don't do justice to the "elusive halocline" though. Now *there's* a special effect that Hollywood hasn't discovered yet!

Roak

That was a good one! It was a surprise find when I stumbled upon it in Cabela's looking for camping gear.

PfcAJ:
I started thinking about that, myself. Its suprizingly bright in there.

Thats true, but when your the last man and you look back its like "Holly Crap it DARK in here!"

HIDs, or any light, really make a difference. During our lost line drills, my buddy and I tucked away on a ledge while the instructor took the 3rd student down to the floor for the drill. Even though we were less than 1 foot away from each other, without lights, I would not know my buddy was there if it wasn't for the sound of his regulator.

It's so dark without lights I find it more comfortable shutting my eyes instead of keeping them open. I think your brain relaxes when you shut your eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom