Subgravity rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frontpointer1000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I still feel like CCR diving is away off for me, but I met the CEO of sub gravity today and had a great discussion with him. Turns out SG HQ is fifteen miles from my home, so just wondering who has used one of their rebreathers and what you all think of them?

I love having a manufacturer so close and open to visitors like this.

@Dsix36 also recently switched from a rEvo to a Defender

First off, I have to say that SubGravity has spectacular customer service and really listens to their customers. They are constantly striving to improve their products. I recently got a firmware update for my SG-1 electronics on my Defender for example. I have always (and still am) been a cheerleader for Shearwater and I must say that SubGravity is in the same league as them.

I am still pretty new to my Defender but it is working exactly as it should and I am finally getting more comfortable with the new rig. There are subtle differences that I am getting used to. Some are what I think are improvements and some I am not sure about yet. The only negative thing (if you can call it that) that I have come up with is that the primary is not a Shearwater, but that is only because I am so used to SW and thus my biggest learning curve. The rest of the unit is extremely well built and solid. The machine tolerances are precise and the fits are perfect.

I may as well plug Jon and Lauren Keiren too. They did my training and did a stellar job. Not only did they teach me the unit itself, but they also managed to instill some long forgot basic refreshers and some new aspects of diving at the the same time. Probably some of the most comprehensive training that I have ever taken. They even managed to make it fun and enjoyable for me to look like a complete idiot as I learned the skills and drills.

First off, I have to say that SubGravity has spectacular customer service and really listens to their customers. They are constantly striving to improve their products. I recently got a firmware update for my SG-1 electronics on my Defender for example. I have always (and still am) been a cheerleader for Shearwater and I must say that SubGravity is in the same league as them.

I am still pretty new to my Defender but it is working exactly as it should and I am finally getting more comfortable with the new rig. There are subtle differences that I am getting used to. Some are what I think are improvements and some I am not sure about yet. The only negative thing (if you can call it that) that I have come up with is that the primary is not a Shearwater, but that is only because I am so used to SW and thus my biggest learning curve. The rest of the unit is extremely well built and solid. The machine tolerances are precise and the fits are perfect.

I may as well plug Jon and Lauren Keiren too. They did my training and did a stellar job. Not only did they teach me the unit itself, but they also managed to instill some long forgot basic refreshers and some new aspects of diving at the the same time. Probably some of the most comprehensive training that I have ever taken. They even managed to make it fun and enjoyable for me to look like a complete idiot as I learned the skills and drills.

Also, +1 to Jon and Lauren.

this is not to discount them in any way, but remember they aren't actually the manufacturer, they are the distributor. Just a clarification point, not to sway you one way or another

this is not to discount them in any way, but remember they aren't actually the manufacturer, they are the distributor. Just a clarification point, not to sway you one way or another
I seem to think they are actually the manufacturer of the Defender, even the electronics are to their specs. They may not do the actually machine work or circuit boards themselves, but they are in charge of the QC, assembly, and testing of each unit that they build.

They are the distributor for the XCCR though. Pretty much worldwide with the exception of the homeland I think.

In discussions with Randy (the CEO and, I believe, founder), he said they (SG) made the electronics and that they were proprietary to them, and, although we didn't get into specifics of build processes, he said the factory for the rebreathers was right there (where we were talking) in Draper, Utah.

This sounds less like a distributor and exactly like a manufacturer of the rebreathers.

*just to clarify, he did mention they had several units, they certainly may be the distributor of at least one unit, as posted above...I know next to nothing about this company. I'm in no way arguing, just sharing the little I know.

Turns out SG HQ is fifteen miles from my home, so just wondering who has used one of their rebreathers and what you all think of them?
Does in a pool count? Yay, didn't think so.
I can tell you they work hard to build a quality machine.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom