Subic Bay - 17th Jul - 2 divers missing on USS New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPECULATION MOSTLY: I doubt that the Inst screwed up. Some reports suggest that one of the students was headed back to the wreck for unknown reasons and the Inst went for him. I suspect the wayward student got them both in trouble. My original OW Inst once mentioned that he would not put himself in danger to try to save someone putting themselves into trouble, but I think that was all talk - he would have. I suspect that many double fatalities go that way.

We may never know what did indeed go down, but we might get more info.

SPECULATION MOSTLY: I doubt that the Inst screwed up. Some reports suggest that one of the students was headed back to the wreck for unknown reasons and the Inst went for him. I suspect the wayward student got them both in trouble. My original OW Inst once mentioned that he would not put himself in danger to try to save someone putting themselves into trouble, but I think that was all talk - he would have. I suspect that many double fatalities go that way.

We may never know what did indeed go down, but we might get more info.

Two technical wreck certified divers with Steven were diving the wreck. No student was involved here. Who is spreading such a irresponsible rumor!!
One came out alive but the other two....
Most of the reports on the actual dive are pieces of BS.

RIP

Two technical wreck certified divers with Steven were diving the wreck. No student was involved here. Who is spreading such a irresponsible rumor!!

Romeo Renojo, chief of maritime security at the Subic Bay Freeport.

Tin is an experienced diver who was undergoing further training for technical diving, Renojo said.

To be fair, the quote doesn't say that they were actuallyon a training dive. In addition, it's wise to pay very little regard to media reports like this, especially at such an early stage.

I believe certain Phil Depts would have the proper account from the third diver who managed to get out of the dive. Even though he could NOT tell the full story
I read in HK that the surviving diver would not issue any public statement on the incident.
He even poured scorn and disputed certain "facts" published in our pathetic newspapers.
The reason why such an experience diver(Steven) would tragically got lost inside the wreck is very hard to apprehend.

RIP

One came out alive but the other two....
Most of the reports on the actual dive are pieces of BS.

It sounds like you know some facts that the media does not .... could you share them with us?

yes, the two divers were found inside the shipwreck..they apparently went into the wrong side of the vessel where there is no way out.
one of the divers was a US citizen,and has been diving in olongapo subic bay for almost 30years. he is actually a diving instructor.,he was recovered still wearing his yellow scuba tank and fyi he is wearing an artificial left hand...the chinese national diver on the other hand was his diving student.
may you R.I.P Divers!

yes, that particular spot in the vessel is quite enclosed and with bad water visibility one can hardly get away from the area...it's a "death trap" so to speak.
i strongly believe that foul play is far from the issue.

Back
Top Bottom