Sudafed effects on diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougK

Contributor
Reaction score
I remember in the OW class that the drug Sudafed was mentioned about being both good and bad for divers. Thought I made notes but can't find them now and its been a year plus since this was mentioned.

If my memory is correctly it seemed some folks use it to get rid of congestion before diving but that it can have bad side effects.

Anyone know the situation with this drug?

DougK:
I remember in the OW class that the drug Sudafed was mentioned about being both good and bad for divers. Thought I made notes but can't find them now and its been a year plus since this was mentioned.

If my memory is correctly it seemed some folks use it to get rid of congestion before diving but that it can have bad side effects.

Anyone know the situation with this drug?

check this out in the diving medicine forum. its all there.

DougK-
I've actually just started takining a Sudafed (or generic) before my dives. It has seemed to ease equilizing a bit. I however, only take them when I feel completely healthy or close to it. I've read that it can help take down any swelling in the middle ear that you may not feel.
That being said, I wouldn't take it if you feel really congested. I believe one of the main problems it can cause is a reverse block (it may wear off under water).

Just my two cents, but it does help me. I dive with a few instructors who use it or something like it as well. Again, we only use it as a little extra help, but not to cure any sort of problem.

Happy diving!

DAN has a specific article on pseudoephedrine (the generic name) and Nitrox. They also have a generic over-the-counter drug article.
I use pseudoephedrine, though not always. I absolutely wouldn't dive on it if I started really congested, but if I'm feeling clear to start with it seems to help on second and third dives (otherwise I tend to equalize slowly, not harmful just that I prefer being able to descend slightly faster).
Absolutely anyone using any med should become a knowledgeable consumer, by themselves (with Dr's advice) -- don't go by what any other individual does or does not do. (personal responsibility is a must in this)

On our 1st dive last tuesday I may have had a reaction. This dive was to 118FSW on EAN32. I've used sudafed for over 30 years with no noticable side effects. But using sudafed with nitrox is new, and both on a dive that deep is new. In addition to feeling paranoid I did notice that I felt a little buzzed on the bottom. This is the 1st time that I've used the combo of sudafed on nitrox, deeper than 100 fsw.

I've since read from DAN that sudafed is not recommended when diving EANx where the ATA may reach 1.4 or more, as the higher O2 can contribute to side effects with it. I'm thinking that maybe it was OK for me at shallower depths (I did not feel the same on the 2nd dive, at the bottom on Stage 1, which is about 102 FSW), but that somewhere past that and the 118FSW I logged I hit a point where things happened?

Dunno, but I do think I'll skip the sudafed on days when we expect a deep dive, just in case.

One thing to be careful of that I noticed yesterday while picking up some Sudafed is that they have a "new" pseudoehederine free version of Sudafed that is in the exact same packaging as the old stuff. You can still get the old stuff, but (here in Texas) you have to have a pharmacist/staff pull it from behind the counter for you (and I figure that soon you'll have to undergo a background check and a 10 day waiting period just to keep your sinuses clear...)

While there are plenty of people who use it regularly without any problems, you do need to be careful about reverse blocks and the effect it can have on your state of mind when combined with diving.

While I haven't read one all encompassing article on this, from what I can piece together, the active ingredient in Sudafed can affect the nervous system by inhibiting communication between nerves. Nitrogen also has that effect. When the two are combined it can create paranoia and cause someone to panic.

Sudafed also dehydrates you, so I suppose it could increase your exposure to DCS.

According to my Dr, another thing to be aware of with pseudoehederine is if you have an enlarged prostrate, and you take it on a regular basis, you won't have to worry about warming your wetsuit, it will become more difficult to do! He said it can make your prostrate swell thus causing difficulty in urinating.

I take it sometimes when diving a lot, my ears get "tired" after a couple days and it makes it easier for me to equalize. If I'm truely congested I wouldn't take it so I could dive. I always use the 12 hour kind, don't want the 6 hour stuff running out. (I learned that the hard way.)

I haven't seen the new Sudafed PE in a 12 hour version yet, though I imagine they will come out with it. For those interested I started a thread on Sudafed PE here - http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106832

Wayward Son:
On our 1st dive last tuesday I may have had a reaction. This dive was to 118FSW on EAN32. I've used sudafed for over 30 years with no noticable side effects. But using sudafed with nitrox is new, and both on a dive that deep is new. In addition to feeling paranoid I did notice that I felt a little buzzed on the bottom. This is the 1st time that I've used the combo of sudafed on nitrox, deeper than 100 fsw.

I've since read from DAN that sudafed is not recommended when diving EANx where the ATA may reach 1.4 or more, as the higher O2 can contribute to side effects with it. I'm thinking that maybe it was OK for me at shallower depths (I did not feel the same on the 2nd dive, at the bottom on Stage 1, which is about 102 FSW), but that somewhere past that and the 118FSW I logged I hit a point where things happened?

Dunno, but I do think I'll skip the sudafed on days when we expect a deep dive, just in case.
Over the weekend, I did some deep dives, 115 or so, with Nitrox 29 or 30, and I took sudafed before the dives. Didn't notice a thing. Now, if I had read this thread before I went diving, do you think the power of suggestion would have made me feel buzzed? Do you think the power of suggestion did it for you? Rhetorical questions really. :D

Back
Top Bottom