Suggestions for DEMA organizers for a better show!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After beating my head against the wall for years trying to get players in the industry to not invest in crap marketing and instead do something that works with the typical response of "Oh, this costs money? Not interested.",

When you've done it for 25 years come back and talk to me about how much your head hurts.

:d

Even when you work with real clients, in real industries, with plenty of money and willing to spend it, it still feels like banging your head against a wall.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2014 at 08:51 PM ----------

I decided to just be thankful I work for a big player in the industry who lets me play with all kinds of marketing ideas :)

There's something to be said for being a prime mover in a time of market upheaval.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2014 at 09:00 PM ----------

I cannot list every booth whom had new products to show case,

How about five?

Five truly "new" products?

Not this year's version of last year's product.

Ok... three?

The most innovative thing I saw was an outdoor/gardening product with a great dive application.

Last edited:
When you've done it for 25 years come back and talk to me about how much your head hurts.

:d

Even when you work with real clients, in real industries, with plenty of money and willing to spend it, it still feels like banging your head against a wall.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2014 at 08:51 PM ----------

There's something to be said for being a prime mover in a time of market upheaval.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2014 at 09:00 PM ----------

How about five?

Five truly "new" products?

Not this year's version of last year's product.

Ok... three?

The most innovative thing I saw was an outdoor/gardening product with a great dive application.

I will do my best to give you an answer. I am going to start with my self Z Gear. I qualify as a paid exhibitor at the show with new product to introduce to all show attendees.

The new item are as follows:

#1 BCD dive light mount: An adjustable light mount that attaches to a divers BCD. Allows diver to hold dive light and adjust angle of illumination, hands free. Introduced this year and totally new for the show.

#2 BCD Go Pro mount : Shoulder type mount attaches to BCD and is turn on forget it type of hands free mount. Gives you the ability to film hands free using your slower moving torso rather than head movements. This mount was introduced last year but was the first time most saw the mount. It qualifies the product as new for this show.

#3 BCD Long arm Go Pro mount : The mount attaches to BCD but is extended and positioned in front of divers view. Enabling him/her to see what they are filming. The mount also is controled by panning with the bodyrather than the head movement. Allowing for steadier hands free filming. Also avoiding air bubble shot encountered when using a head mount.

#4 Mono Pole light mount: This is an adjustable light mount that can be attached to any camera pole. It can hold a light 1/3/4" diameter and allows you to adjust angle of light. It is also offset and mount can be used as a holding handle to help steady shot while filming with a camera pole. This is another new item introduced this year and new to the show.

shall I go on.... Let me get some coffee,

O.k I'm back

#5 Dive light Go Pro mount: This mount attaches to your primary pistol grip spot light. It allows you to hold a Go Pro Camera on the top of your light for filming your dive. Introduced this year, also new item at the show.

#6 Head strap leash: This is a leash primarily used to secure a Go Pro head strap or dive mask. It features an adjustable arm band and is also great for securing those popular Go Pro Dive Masks, I sold quite a few of these... Introduced last year but a new item fr this show many thought it was a new and clever item.

#7 Pole spear leash: Is a leash which attaches to apole spear and a divers D ring. It will not obstruct the diver s shooting or slow the pole spear down. It has a safety release clip rated at 35 lbs. Introduced last year know one at the show had ever heard of it.

The Aquapazza booth across from me had a very unique housing. It was a bit sleeker than the other bulky housings and it had pretty nice features. It was so form fitting that at first I thought I was looking at just a normal camera. He had available for this year the sony rx 100 housing. Pretty nice housing and price was good as well.Next year he is comming out with a cannon housing.

The UK light booth gave us a few things to look at they had a camera pole set up with lights, a bit heavy and expensive. But at least it was new and they showed us their aqua view lights which I am interested in. Angle adjustment from 20 to 90 degrees. Pretty cool.

While roaming around the wet suit company( not henderson or mares) caught my eye with their new style of wet suits. Some had an army colors tactical style to them. The womens suits were also pretty cool. From the looks of others around I don't believe they had witnessed these before.

The pegasus thruster was new to me but it is possible that this has been here at the show before.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that air ring gun/toy.It was showing video in the middle of the show floor, I had never seen anything like it have you?

Perhaps your question should be pointed more towards attendees who's goal was to seek new products. My goal as an exhibitor was just to show my new products to them.

I had read on another thread on how a lot of members were not really impressed by this last show. Both exhibitors and attendees wanted more from this show...

Do you guys have any other ideas on how they can improve the show? Lets give them some ideas! There are lot of good minds out there, I believe that we can all complain about what we don't like, lets go further and present some alternatives and good suggestions. After all we are the participants, supporters, and audience of the show!!!

Any suggestions on how the show could be better?

Reactions: RJP

If you are asking me for suggestions on how the show could be better take a closer look at the previous responses to this thread it explains the area of change I suggested. The response above was answering a question presented to me and I did my best to answer it.

If you are asking me for suggestions on how the show could be better take a closer look at the previous responses to this thread it explains the area of change I suggested. The response above was answering a question presented to me and I did my best to answer it.

Easy there Z Gear...by all means you should respond to questions presented to you.

I read your suggestions and I liked them. I was just trying to keep your thread on topic and seek ways to improve the show. It was starting to drift a bit.

Easy there Z Gear...by all means you should respond to questions presented to you.

I read your suggestions and I liked them. I was just trying to keep your thread on topic and seek ways to improve the show. It was starting to drift a bit.

Sorry, if it sounded a bit blunt. I get your message now. I also hope everyone tries to keep the thread on topic and seek ways to improve the show. I was also appreciative to those who provided the DEMA board members names, this gives me the means in which I can present such suggestions to them.

I am an action type of person I just wanted some support from members if they could constructively come up with good suggestions to present, I could bring them forward to the ears of those in charge. What if it finally happens and this time they do listen,and they do implement some of the suggestions for next years show, or just one. it will mean that YOU HAVE A VOICE .Having a voice
is always a good thing and DEMA will still appreciate inputs on constructive suggestion. It just has to be done in a considerable manner.

Its up to those who weren't happy with the show to chime in and come up with some alternatives. On the other hand if they just want to complain and be convinced that it won't make a difference then they should not expect anything to change.

Last edited:

Its amazing to me how people are quick to complain, but offer little in the form of constructive suggestions, that can actually help this show be better. From the looks of most of the responses, I gather that there is really no interest in actual changes in the next show. Since not many care to put energy in this area, its sad but they have already given up.

Just something to remember! People ( even the ones running DEMA) can always change their minds. Its all about timing , this is true even in sales. You never know when the door is going to open you just have to have the energy and will to keep knocking. Some are frustrated because it didn't happen when they tried before. Today is a new day, I was trying to inspire some of you that were not to happy with the show to join me in getting somethings changed, I guess I as wrong. Perhaps its best just to leave things the way they are, at least that's easy, I get it, you guys are used to venting your frustrations, and that's it on this particular topic. If this does not sit well with some of you, wake up and chime in I need all the help I can get!

So the most innovative new products you saw at the "DIVE EQUIPMENT & MARKETING SHOW" were GoPro accessories?

[video=youtube;9oj8CbLRrvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oj8CbLRrvM[/video]

I will do my best to give you an answer. I am going to start with my self Z Gear. I qualify as a paid exhibitor at the show with new product to introduce to all show attendees.

The new item are as follows:

#1 BCD dive light mount: An adjustable light mount that attaches to a divers BCD. Allows diver to hold dive light and adjust angle of illumination, hands free. Introduced this year and totally new for the show.

#2 BCD Go Pro mount : Shoulder type mount attaches to BCD and is turn on forget it type of hands free mount. Gives you the ability to film hands free using your slower moving torso rather than head movements. This mount was introduced last year but was the first time most saw the mount. It qualifies the product as new for this show.

#3 BCD Long arm Go Pro mount : The mount attaches to BCD but is extended and positioned in front of divers view. Enabling him/her to see what they are filming. The mount also is controled by panning with the bodyrather than the head movement. Allowing for steadier hands free filming. Also avoiding air bubble shot encountered when using a head mount.

#4 Mono Pole light mount: This is an adjustable light mount that can be attached to any camera pole. It can hold a light 1/3/4" diameter and allows you to adjust angle of light. It is also offset and mount can be used as a holding handle to help steady shot while filming with a camera pole. This is another new item introduced this year and new to the show.

shall I go on.... Let me get some coffee,

O.k I'm back

#5 Dive light Go Pro mount: This mount attaches to your primary pistol grip spot light. It allows you to hold a Go Pro Camera on the top of your light for filming your dive. Introduced this year, also new item at the show.

#6 Head strap leash: This is a leash primarily used to secure a Go Pro head strap or dive mask. It features an adjustable arm band and is also great for securing those popular Go Pro Dive Masks, I sold quite a few of these... Introduced last year but a new item fr this show many thought it was a new and clever item.

#7 Pole spear leash: Is a leash which attaches to apole spear and a divers D ring. It will not obstruct the diver s shooting or slow the pole spear down. It has a safety release clip rated at 35 lbs. Introduced last year know one at the show had ever heard of it.

The Aquapazza booth across from me had a very unique housing. It was a bit sleeker than the other bulky housings and it had pretty nice features. It was so form fitting that at first I thought I was looking at just a normal camera. He had available for this year the sony rx 100 housing. Pretty nice housing and price was good as well.Next year he is comming out with a cannon housing.

The UK light booth gave us a few things to look at they had a camera pole set up with lights, a bit heavy and expensive. But at least it was new and they showed us their aqua view lights which I am interested in. Angle adjustment from 20 to 90 degrees. Pretty cool.

While roaming around the wet suit company( not henderson or mares) caught my eye with their new style of wet suits. Some had an army colors tactical style to them. The womens suits were also pretty cool. From the looks of others around I don't believe they had witnessed these before.

The pegasus thruster was new to me but it is possible that this has been here at the show before.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that air ring gun/toy.It was showing video in the middle of the show floor, I had never seen anything like it have you?

Perhaps your question should be pointed more towards attendees who's goal was to seek new products. My goal as an exhibitor was just to show my new products to them.

Ok, lots of exhibitors posting here. So here's some thoughts from an attendee; I'm a retail buyer.

1) No more "dive masters" and friends of friends, etc attending. DEMA has to do a better job of weeding out the people that are just there looking to "get deals". And shame on the manufacturers for selling to them directly. If you want your dealers and wholesale buyers to attend at least do them the courtesy of not under-cutting them. There's far too many consumers there and it's hard to get stuff done, even over 4 days.

2) I'm there to see new products, make deals, find new ways to do business, and network. I always learn much more in the aisles than at the booths. Yet there are almost NO networking activities for buyers except a very lame dinner. It's really unbelievable. Yes, there are association/manufacturer invited parties - the WetPixel forum one is usually fun. But DEMA could do a LOT more for the buyers, who after all are the ones actually spending money.

2a Have more places for small meetings/discussions. Maybe a "20 min. meeting cubicle", if I see someone I need to talk to I can have a quick talk with. There was no place to sit away from the food areas. Foster networking...

3) I couldn't be more against the idea of music and loudspeaker announcements touting free gear and other BS. It's hard enough to hold a conversation and time is very limited. Music and interruptions like that are extremely annoying. I'm there to augment my business, not get a free snorkel. Those things are ok in a retail show, but not a trade show.

4) Expand and center the product showcase. Is it still judged? I'd love to see more innovative products really available and on view easily.

Jack

Reactions: RJP
Ok, lots of exhibitors posting here. So here's some thoughts from an attendee; I'm a retail buyer.

1) No more "dive masters" and friends of friends, etc attending. DEMA has to do a better job of weeding out the people that are just there looking to "get deals". And shame on the manufacturers for selling to them directly. If you want your dealers and wholesale buyers to attend at least do them the courtesy of not under-cutting them. There's far too many consumers there and it's hard to get stuff done, even over 4 days.

2) I'm there to see new products, make deals, find new ways to do business, and network. I always learn much more in the aisles than at the booths. Yet there are almost NO networking activities for buyers except a very lame dinner. It's really unbelievable. Yes, there are association/manufacturer invited parties - the WetPixel forum one is usually fun. But DEMA could do a LOT more for the buyers, who after all are the ones actually spending money.

2a Have more places for small meetings/discussions. Maybe a "20 min. meeting cubicle", if I see someone I need to talk to I can have a quick talk with. There was no place to sit away from the food areas. Foster networking...

3) I couldn't be more against the idea of music and loudspeaker announcements touting free gear and other BS. It's hard enough to hold a conversation and time is very limited. Music and interruptions like that are extremely annoying. I'm there to augment my business, not get a free snorkel. Those things are ok in a retail show, but not a trade show.

4) Expand and center the product showcase. Is it still judged? I'd love to see more innovative products really available and on view easily.

Jack

Good points Jack.

Reflecting on some of your points, here is what I think on some of them.

1) On the dive master and friends of friends. This is a problem. It is devaluing the importance of the show. Let me make it clear the show is a dive industry retailer/ manufacturer show not a consumer / retailer / manufacturer show. This is important because as the number of NON retail buyers attend this show the less manufacturer/ and retailers are willing to SPEND $$ to attend the show. They'll just wait for there rep to demo new products to them and get them then. If the show wants to grant dive masters entrance to the show, it should be through an affiliated store who purchases their admission.
They should have the affiliated store on their badge as well. Otherwise they are attendees or consumers. If the show will not be stricter on this because it needs the ticket sales, Then they should have a certain day left open to consumers. Consumers day! A day where they can get to meet the manufacturers.
This way the retailers know when they can avoid the hoard of consumers. If the show want to make it a two day thing thats better than keeping it open for the whole 4 days. I had a tough time trying to conduct my business with some retail buyers, especially when I was busy answering questions that curious attending where inquiring about. I think it is a good point and it is brought up in a reasonable manner, I believe that DEMA should consider reducing this number significantly. This will only raise the standards of the show and ultimately make it worth the money everyone spends to get there.

2) Places to meet on the floor, I am not sure on this one but I believe the DEMA lounge is open to DEMA members for meetings.

3) Upon reflection on this one I believe I am probably not correct. I thought it would be nice to add a more festive mood to the whole show, but now I see the importance on focusing on the main reason for posting this thread, which is the show quality, effectiveness.

4)Now this is the main area where DEMA can make changes. It not that difficult and it will only help to put the show back on track. The Buyers are very interested on seeing what new and DEMA should be responsible for approving what goes in to the new products show case, As you mentioned it should be centered at the show where most of the traffic will be going through. It only makes sense doing it this way. The retailers will appreciate this step forward and so will the manufacturers. It is a win situation all the way through.

Thanks for giving us your points of view.

Back
Top Bottom