Suggestions for diving in Caribbean for solo diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel is a great and easy place to get to for scuba diving. Operators normally do two dives in the morning , and two dives in the afternoon. Could do a twilight and a night dive in the afternoon, which is also a popular option. We have some nurse sharks all year around, and it is always possible to spot a Caribbean reef shark passing on the wall. If you need any more information about where to stay or eat, feel free to contact us. Happy diving!
Thanks much. And appreciate the offer to contact you for where to stay/eat. Will most likely get in touch once I sort out my dates. Assume October/November are decent months since it's the tail end of the hurricane season. I can't get away before July since I got back from Roatan last week, and would like to get in another trip before the end of the year.

Thanks much. And appreciate the offer to contact you for where to stay/eat. Will most likely get in touch once I sort out my dates. Assume October/November are decent months since it's the tail end of the hurricane season. I can't get away before July since I got back from Roatan last week, and would like to get in another trip before the end of the year.
That's a great time to come, the weather is starting to change and the water temperature is also starting to cool down. We also normally have some baby Caribbean reef sharks that start to appear around that time. Looking forward hearing from you.

Yeah, definitely not diving solo. Travelling solo. Have heard good things about Cozumel and the convenience is a plus since I only have a week at best. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. It's much appreciated. And, definitely open to the Bahamas if anyone has any specific spots/islands they can recommend. Was also looking at Bonaire but it seems it's mostly unguided shores dives that won't suit someone of my experience level.
OK, sorry for the confusion. Suggest you change your thread title to solo traveller to avoid any more misunderstanding.
Shore dives most anywhere will be unguided. Boat dives most places will be guided. Lots of people go to Bonaire and do lots of boat dives, all guided. Cozumel is guided because they are boat dives, except for a few house reefs as shore dives, unguided. Cozumel is also drift diving, which can be unsettling the first few times, trying to stay with the group. Many love drift diving; some don't.
You won't find many topside activities at night in Bonaire; the place is all about diving, not clubbing.

That's a great time to come, the weather is starting to change and the water temperature is also starting to cool down. We also normally have some baby Caribbean reef sharks that start to appear around that time. Looking forward hearing from you.
Will definitely get in touch and would be great to dive with you guys if I end up in Cozumel. Fyi, I'm also from NYC.

OK, sorry for the confusion. Suggest you change your thread title to solo traveller to avoid any more misunderstanding.
Shore dives most anywhere will be unguided. Boat dives most places will be guided. Lots of people go to Bonaire and do lots of boat dives, all guided. Cozumel is guided because they are boat dives, except for a few house reefs as shore dives, unguided. Cozumel is also drift diving, which can be unsettling the first few times, trying to stay with the group. Many love drift diving; some don't.
You won't find many topside activities at night in Bonaire; the place is all about diving, not clubbing.
Appreciate the tip. Have done a few drift dives and would like to do more to get more comfortable in strong currents. Fyi, not looking to go clubbing.

I’ve been traveling solo for years and find that liveaboards work out the best. Lots of dives and dead simple logistics. You’d see lots of sharks at Turks and Caicos or the Bahamas. I think that Nitrox should take precedence over Navigation and you could do that pretty easily on your trip.

If you are a new diver to Cozumel, i would recommend to always have a guide with you.

Back
Top Bottom