Suggestions for getting my first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly are you arguing? Newer divers are going to follow a table or a computer to guide their diving, regardless if they understand anything about decompression or decompression algorithms. I clearly stated that there are unexplained episodes of DCS associated with the use of all tables and decompression algorithms, you know that. I believe it is in a diver's best interest to have some understanding of the variety of decompression algorithms available before they make the major purchase of a dive computer.

1 diving is not absolutely safe
2 deco is too complicated to teach in an entry level course
3 the meaning and implications of 'aggressive' or 'conservative' are beyond the experience and knowledge of new divers
4 because of the above they cannot make an informed choice about what algorithm is best for them

A dive computer is only a major purchase if the buyer is fooled into buying an over the top computer by reading forums like this. Really a cheap £150 computer will do for all OW level diving. I will spend that on taxis or airport parking when travelling to a 'destination' resort.

But would you recommend unplanned deco. single tank diving to non-tech. recreational divers?

How many rec. divers are familiar with how their computer handles going into deco.?

I get that some advanced divers wouldn't consider it a big deal, but a lot of people probably would.

Richard.
I would certainly recommend it over doing the same bottom time but going directly to the surface.

Btw this was an answer to BoulderJohns specific examples of how HE dives and his PERSONAL anecdotes. I believe he is qualified to do stops.

Ken:

Thanks foe the explanation. I thought it might be something like that, though it was Boulder John's friend who sold and replaced one. I also wanted to clarify for the original poster, who I hope doesn't get spooked off by some of the contentiousness in the thread. Nothing major, but could be a little intimidating to some newbies.

Richard.

@KenGordon

I give up, you are not helping anyone, but you sure are stubborn
I am helping the people (new divers) who may be led to think it is an advantage to have a computer that lets them stay down longer. They are not in a position to figure that out for themselves and a lot of posters here suggest that longer NDLs are better.

I am helping the people (new divers) who may be led to think it is an advantage to have a computer that lets them stay down longer. They are not in a position to figure that out for themselves and a lot of posters here suggest that longer NDLs are better.
They are going to choose a 1st computer with no guidance at all!

They are going to choose a 1st computer with no guidance at all!

Yes! And they can use their eyes. They can look at the buttons and the display, figure out if they can work it, afford it and if thinking ahead if they can change the battery. These things matter and they don't need much guidance.

One issue that's come up and Boulder John brought up is, depending on who you dive with and how, the diver with the most conservative computer can be the diver limiting his buddy's dive time. Not a complaint I read a lot, but it does happen. Can cause resentment considering what people pay for dive trips.

One issue that's come up and Boulder John brought up is, depending on who you dive with and how, the diver with the most conservative computer can be the diver limiting his buddy's dive time. Not a complaint I read a lot, but it does happen. Can cause resentment considering what people pay for dive trips.
Dive trips are cheaper than chamber trips! :)

I do not think this really happens much. As claimed by myself and DD above tank divers are usually limited by gas and operators try to arrange things to avoid them being NDL limited.

The circumstances when it will happen are when diving independently to some extent, as described by John above. You are less likely to be diving with a random instabuddy in that case so should have a clue about the likely NDL times. Hopefully you plan the dive and realise that an issue may arise.

If this does happen then the resentful partly is basically saying the other diver should take on more risk. Is that reasonable?

If your dives are limited by NDL there are ways to increase the NDL other than taking more risk, ones with actual physiological effect. Use Nitrox and have longer surface intervals.

...//... the diver with the most conservative computer can be the diver limiting his buddy's dive time. Not a complaint I read a lot, but it does happen. Can cause resentment considering what people pay for dive trips.
"Not a complaint I read a lot"? Really???

That is the 800 pound gorilla in this room.

I give up. My new advice to any OW/AOW PDC diver is to find the most aggressive PDC that you can possibly find, dive the NDL as a religion, and come up with the cool kids. If you can't come up with them, then is obvious that you just need to bring more gas.

OAO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom