Suggestions for wetsuit thickness??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with the Los Coronados Islands staying a bit warm than Wreck Alley
Good suggestion, it's both shallower and often warmer (on the US/Mexico border) Plus you get to play/dive with these guys...(leave the snorkel on the boat to keep your mask...)

the colder water you also have to pay attention to fit. A tropical 3mm you just need close and call it good. But as the water goes colder you really need to watch for water pockets and leaks. Water flushing through the suit will be a cold suit no matter how thick it is. My 5mm Hendreson aqualock is warmer than many rental 7mm suits simply due to there are sealing surfaces to limit water exchange.

As for a drysuit, the undergarments are what gives the warmth. and messes with your buoyancy.

Nicole,
You have received so many suggestions it will be difficult to make a decision. Everyone has their favorite. I dive Socal year round, in my opinion nothing beats a 8/7 integrated hood suit from Aqualung, Hollis or Bare. They are much warmer than the torso suit with a separate hooded vest. For even more warmth you can add a neoprene vest w/o hood under it and a thin fabric balaclava under the suit hood. If you over heat in the summer just push the hood back, but you rarely will. I just finished a two day trip to San Nicolas Island and depths below 50' we still in the 50's. Fit is everything, over brand. There are online retailers with free returns. I ordered three different brands in two different sizes and sent everything back except the one I purchased.

Back
Top Bottom