Suggestions on a DIY set-up to not lose my DSLR Ikelite rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made a lanyard out of paracord and put a couple bolt snaps on. Connects to my right shoulder D-ring on my BCD. I wouldn't use a wrist strap as it makes it difficult to use your hands even if you drop the camera.

I use a coil lanyard with snaps. Similar to this from LP.

Me, too. Mine came with a suicide clip, though, so I bought a proper boltsnap and switched out the clip. I think it was about half an hour's work.

Edit: I clip the lanyard to my left hip D-ring, and I've also tied another boltsnap to the rig. If I need to have both hands free and don't want the rig to dangle from the lanyard, I clip that boltsnap to my left chest D-ring. That makes the rig hang down my left side not unlike a stage or deco bottle.

Edit2: And since I'm pretty anal about safety, both the lanyard and the boltsnap tie-in can be cut with a knife. I've seen lanyards where the wire is fastened directly to the ring and the boltsnap, and you'll never see me use one of those.

Last edited:
I also switched out the cheap brass clip and put a proper SS bolt snap on.
I'll clip my off to the left shoulder d-ring and then use a bungee on my shoulder d-ring and loop it around one of the arm clamps.

Holds tight to my chest when I need both hands for something or just cruising.

One other nice thing about the bungee (of any sort) over a static line is when you are handing off your camera to the deckhand in a live boating situation and forget to unclip it from your harness, you get a little bit of flexibility with unclipping (or a camera slingshoting back toward your face).

Or so I hear. A friend told me. wasn't me I swear.

-Chris

Because I made the extension to add a second handle to my rig, I slotted it to allow me to pass a length of rope through it and clip that to a d ring.

Back
Top Bottom