Suggestions on BCDs for instructor training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacket style BCD is easier for teaching, the simpler the better, as it's most likely what your students will be training in. Other than that, I don't really have much to say on that.

The jacket style BCD is easier to fit someone into - guess the right size (S, M, L, etc.), put it on, tighten three or four cinch points, and you are done. If you want to fit a class of six divers in a hurry, nothing beats a jacket BP - either back inflate, or one which inflates all around the body. BP/w requires more fiddling.

There is nothing about a jacket BCD that makes it easier to teach in, nor is there anything inherent in the jacket that makes it easier to learn in. In fact, I believe that a rear-inflate system (jacket or BP/w) is far easier to dive than one which inflates all around the diver.

scubapro litehawk is my pool bcd. It is a rear inflate bcd, super easy to adjust and looks like it will stay black for quite some time. It's easy to demo all skills in, and it dials in horizontal/neutral like it's intuitive.

I would take this one for travel too. I use a softpack/wing for actual diving.
Have fun!

jacket BCD is the only reasonable option, your instructor trainer is correct. There will be nay-sayers and differing opinions, but when it comes to skills demonstrations, trying to show a student the correct way to use the equipment issued to them is most effectively done with equipment that is somewhat similar in function AND appearance to theirs.

I have my doubts about these statements. All systems have power inflators, oral inflation hoses, and air bladders - that which is important can be demonstrated, and it all looks the same.

I would give your students more credit than to assume that they can't learn if you are in different gear. If this were true, I would not have passed my cavern course in a "poodle jacket" with single tank and a wetsuit since my instructor had a BP/w with doubles and a drysuit.

....All systems have power inflators, oral inflation hoses, and air bladders - that which is important can be demonstrated, and it all looks the same.
the tropical recreational resort diving new Open Water diver renting gear will get a poodle jacket. Said jacket will not have crotch straps or a visible plate. What will be visible is the already truncated time-frame for the delivery of OW course material. Resort teaching, specifically in the tropical waters, sucks. I would love to have been allowed to spend more time (such as is invested here in colder climates) delving into more in-depth and well-rounded teaching including more pertinent examples such as 'other' gear alternatives, but the fact of the matter remains that there is a required teaching syllabus that most resort courses are taught under and which must be adhered to in order to keep within the STRICT time constraints imposed by the average tropical dive-shop / hamburger-grinder.

We are speaking to an incumbent instructor. If, upon reaching teaching status, said instructor finds himself in an atypical tropical teaching situation where the time considerations are less lax than the norm, or possibly once said instructor gains enough experience to be able to successfully integrate this extra variable, possibly then he might reconsider the gear use and choose to relegate the now 2-3 year old poodle jacket to pool duty??
I would give your students more credit than to assume that they can't learn if you are in different gear. If this were true, I would not have passed my cavern course in a "poodle jacket" with single tank and a wetsuit since my instructor had a BP/w with doubles and a drysuit.
credit is fine, but it still is one more thing to put into an already tight timeline... why bother??

also, cavern is not OW in the tropics, or your cavern course would have been possible to teach in 2 days time... just sayin:D

Well said...
Also look for gear you can get parts and service for easily in the area you'll be at...

jacket BCD is the only reasonable option, your instructor trainer is correct. There will be nay-sayers and differing opinions, but when it comes to skills demonstrations, trying to show a student the correct way to use the equipment issued to them is most effectively done with equipment that is somewhat similar in function AND appearance to theirs. If you are looking for simple and sturdy, consider looking at the rental kit they are actually using. That kit is subjected to harsh and careless use by students and guests on a daily basis. If your kit is cared for better, imagine how long it might last. I have worked with seaquest, DiveBuddy, and Scubapro and all of the BCD's constructed with an eye towards rental fleet market will show a tendency to survive.

I personally spent a lot on mine and am willing to pay more often for the extra comfortable poodle jacket. I use a mares dragon (both here in cold water / drysuit, and in tropical waters.) when you fully inflate the dragon, it pops you so far up out of the water that your hands are completely clear... great if you like to use hand gestures while you speak.

For fins, I have used several (both splits and solids) and none worked better for giving the traction needed to catch wayward guests and attention deficient students than the Mares open heel with 3 or 4 "channels". I love the stiffer feel, and when you are in water 3+ times per day, your legs WILL get strong enough to make use of the extra traction. Split fins are like riding a bicycle in the easiest gear: if you are willing to "peddle" like crazy.... That has been my experience and is MY OPINION

good luck on your course, and if I may offer a bit of advice: DIVE. Dive lots. Dive some more. Get as much real experience as you can before you go out and start teaching. You will be the better teacher when you have a feel for how and why whatever happens as it does, and how to deal with it, when you can call upon personal experience from having seen some of it personally, than you ever could from reading about it. You will be a more confident teacher with more to offer your students when you start teaching.

To the OP, any equipment that you like, can afford, fits you properly and is in good repair and is functional, will meet your needs as a new diver.

When I teach basic programs, I attempt to use the same equipment as my students for a few reasons:

1. Diving is a new experience to most students. Some may be hesitant, or even be a bit fearful of the experience. Seeing their instructor in similar gear boosts their confidence in the equipment they are using.

2. When I demonstrate a skill, it's done with similar equipment as the student is wearing.

3. When I owned my own dive shop I wanted students to be happy with their gear and wanted them to eventually purchase similar equipment. This is why I used higher-end equipment in my training programs.

In consideration of the fact that you're going to be an instructor it's probably wise you have one standard BCD for demonstration purposes, in case you don't work with a DM. DCBC stated the benefits above quite well.

I'd also like to add that most the students will read into most everything you say, do or don't do and say, and wear; however, I do agree the wing/bp setup is a better rig.

Why don't you pick up a used BCD that fits, overhaul it at your LDS, and get yourself a pair of spring-heel straps? You could save tons of cash to put toward a nice wing/bp system for your personal diving and still meet the needs of your classroom.

What are the water temps where you will be an Instructor? What gear will the students be using? What gear does the shop(s) you will be associated with carry/use?

If the water is warmer than Southern California's, vest style BC's and stock heel strap or full foot Mares fins are far and away the most common Instructor gear from what I see, hear and read.

Your reg set should be a brand that is easily serviced at your location, so is Sherwood supported in Phuket?

I teach in a zeagle express tech and my students are in Tusa jackets for the most part. I have yet to see where they are "confused" by the difference in styles. I explain what I am using and what they are using and then demo skills. I see no "confusion" when I bring my BPW in for a session or two with a long hose set-up. I don't know if all my students would quailfy for MENSA (probably not), but I do give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not morons. A simple explanation and demo clears up any "confusion".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom