Summersville Lake Memorial weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdcline

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son and I are thinking about doing a few dives in Summersville Lake during Memorial weekend. We would like to hear from anyone who might have dove the lake recently. We would like to know what the water temps are like and what the vis was.

I haven't been diving there yet this year. Sarge's Dive shop isn't open yet. No one anwers their phone. Can't get my tanks filled. I assume that they'll be opening this weekend.

I know that the lake is full. Don't know the surface temps. You can get bottom temps via the recording (304-872-5809), which tells you temp of the water being released into the upper Gauley River.

Please post some information here if you get any!!

I emailed Sarges, got a rely from Eric with these conditions. Lake conditions: Surface Temp is about 60 deg. and there is a thermocline at around 20 ft. I went diving in the lake about 4 weeks ago, and the temperature in the thermocline was about 48 deg. I have not been diving since due to cool weather and a sinus infection. The visibility should be 10 to 15 ft. depending on location.

Due to the cold conditons it looks like we won't be going this weekend. May try again in a couple of weeks if the weather warms up soon.

Definitely keep us posted, I would be interested in jumping in on a Summersville trip, my mom and pop live pretty close to there so I can get in the family obligations and have fun. :wink:

Winter access:
75-80 Air
57 Bottom @ 60'-90'

Real good vis compared to 5-12-06, around 15'-20'. Could have done better but was diving with large group that merked everything up.

Lake was full when I was up there on the 12th, which was a pleasant surprise.

Cfdsmokeater:
Winter access:
75-80 Air
57 Bottom @ 60'-90'

Real good vis compared to 5-12-06, around 15'-20'. Could have done better but was diving with large group that merked everything up.

Lake was full when I was up there on the 12th, which was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for the updated information. We didn't make it Memorial weekend but we are planning a few dives around June 14, 15 or 16. Maybe we will see you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom