Sun Fish in the Gulf of Mexico???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had no idea that these inhabited the Gulf. Such a beautiful and intelligent animal. It almost looks like it is consciously watching you as you are watching it.

Also saw 4 hammerheads, Dolphin, some barracuda and a pair of Amberjack that looked like they went about 100 lbs a piece. The highlight however was the Mola Mola. I have some video as well I will try and post later.

Bryan

Sun%20Fish%20on%20the%20Texas%20Clipper%20-%20Gulf%20of%20Mexico%20-%20South%20Padre%20Island.jpg

Sun_Fish_on_the_Texas_Clipper_-_Gulf_of_Mexico_-_South_Padre_Island_4.jpg

Very cool, thanks for sharing Bryan!:D

I had no idea that these inhabited the Gulf. Such a beautiful and intelligent animal. It almost looks like it is consciously watching you as you are watching it.

Also saw 4 hammerheads, Dolphin, some barracuda and a pair of Amberjack that looked like they went about 100 lbs a piece. The highlight however was the Mola Mola. I have some video as well I will try and post later.

Bryan

Where was the dive?

Paul

How cool! I've only seen one in 15 years of diving, and that was in Coz.

You may already be aware of this organization; they are requesting sightings and photos if you have them.

Ocean Sunfish

Thnx for the pix

Where were you at in the Gulf? That's a pretty awesome sighting.
Carrie

We were tied off to the Texas Clipper. I was putting divers back on the boat after dive 2 when one spotted this sun fish while on our fin line. I thought we had missed out on getting a photo off him as he drifted off with the current away from us. However about 3-5 minutes later a diver still on the fin line started yelling that it was back. Like I said, it was almost as if he was checking us out as much as we were checking him out.

YouTube - Mola Sun Fish South Padre Island Gulf of Mexico

How cool! I've only seen one in 15 years of diving, and that was in Coz.

You may already be aware of this organization; they are requesting sightings and photos if you have them.

Ocean Sunfish

I was not aware of them. Thanks for the heads up!

Pretty majestic animal. I swam with a whale shark down here last summer that was pretty cool, but I think I was more in awe of this fish just for the shear oddness of it. It was like nothing I had ever seen before.

Just remembered, have video of one off Roatan that looked to be half eaten---ugly sight, one 'normal one' much less a half eaten one......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom