Sunfish Pond - dont let a boy do a man's job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lazy divers .........just get a rebreather and hike it up there. Carry the rebreather on your back and another bag for the drysuit and weights. All done.

Now who can buy me a rebreather. ?

lazy divers ......... Now who can buy me a rebreather. ?

Ha - I may go stealth for a recon mission very soon - I can carry a 19 pony, a mask and fins and a flag... without too much effort to see how steep the backside really is and figure out if lugging up an 80 is worth it...
I will take one photo for proof and then put into motion this evil plan of diving the infamous Sunfish Pond! Boy - I hope it is not some acid rain pond by the time we put in all this work...

A flag in Sunfish Pond! OMG!!!

But, yes, it is required so that we don't get minced to chum by some twin diesel cat.

Call me for the recon mission...

---------- Post added June 11th, 2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

Just got back from Worthington State Forest.

recon report:
Loaded up the car with a selection of tanks with the intention of attempting to conceal one of them near Sunfish Pond, left home at 4AM. Driving west on I-80, pull off at the first brown sign for Dunnfield Creek. Stay on the access road, pass the first Dunnfield Creek parking area and park at the second one. This one is unique as it has a circle of grass/trees in the middle and parking around the perimeter. This is the trail head for the path that follows the Appalachian Trail. Do not take the steps when you first pull into the lower portion of the parking area. Go into the woods towards the notice board that is covered with a roof and get a trail map out of the mailbox. Follow that trail, the map gives the trail blaze legend that will keep you on the right course.

Problem:
The parking area and the Visitors Information Center are littered with signs warning you of a lot of recent automobile break-ins. "Leave nothing in sight." Too much dive gear to risk losing, I called it.

It is NOT 7 miles to Sunfish Pond from there. It is approximately four miles and just slightly over a thousand foot vertical rise. The confusion arises from the map, there are 7.8 miles of Appalachian Trail that cuts through the park. I confirmed the distance with Google Maps and a coordinate distance calculator. Less than four miles, but it is still a very challenging hike with dive gear. My BP and a set of cave filled 72's weigh almost exactly 100 pounds, forget that.

Old Mine Road presents issues too. ONE LANE, controlled by a red/green light. Looks like a very long cycle. Very remote, not sure I want to leave a vehicle there either.

BTW, I have the 24 Hr. communications center number for the Park.

That is all for now.

Last edited:
Well we may need a new plan then - because this has come too far... I am not good at giving up on this yet... :D

Just to keep the interest up. :wink:

Here is a bit more info about the pretty little lake in the sky that has been teasing me for years:

Sunfish Pond.jpg

Recon Trip Accomplished...

Got to the back side of Worthington State Forest - the long red light was really a 1/4 mile single road that changed at about 8 minutes. Once through the single lane it opened backup to a double lane 15 mph road to Campground Road. The second entrance has a nice bathroom facility for when you have had too much coffee and forgot to stop before your hike. No signs of break-ins or rowdiness - a nice area to park and take a walk. We were going to go up Garvey Springs Trail but did not after talking with some Rangers - we took the Douglas Trail to Appalachian Trail to Sunfish Pond. The trail was somewhat rocky at points (about a 1/4 of the trail) the rest was mostly level but uphill all the way. We stopped 3 times to switch packs and have some water and it took an hour and 15 mins from parking lot to Sunfish Pond. Folks did stop us at various spots to ask if those really were scuba tanks and with a sweaty face each time I shook my head and answered the questions... So we made it - we took 19 cu ft ponies - no weights, no BCD and no wet suits - bathing suit diving holding the pony bottle. It was so cold after 15 feet I could not breath a steady inhale or exhale - at 12 feet or less the water was nice and warm. As it turned out it was only low 70's but I would have sworn it was in the 50's because I could not stay in that thermocline. I would say the viz was about 5 to 8 feet at best - I was really surprised - it looked like it should have been better. We dove one tank - my son's regulator was not working - water was coming in and the only way to breath it was to purge the reg which really was no fun at all.

But we made the trek and it was certainly fun - very much like the Delaware Train Wreck. :wink: Watch the video and we can talk about a full dive there or a new location...

https://youtu.be/MnRLr2gyEGs

065.jpg

Last edited:
OMG! You did it! What a beautiful area. Looks like you and your son had a great time with the adventure.

BTW. Takes a real man to pull off hiking with a pink backpack.

baskin your street cred is up to the max.......totally enjoyed it

baskin your street cred is up to the max.......totally enjoyed it

Thanks - Could not find a Sherpa so I enlisted my son... It was tiring going up but once in the water - it was all worth it...

But I could not seem to balance any of the tanks on my head - need more practice... :D

BTW - that is the longest walk for a Shore Dive I have ever made... LOL

Most Excellent, Sirs!

Truly a dive to be proud of. Well done, both!

We need to talk. What is the chance of getting some big tanks up there? I have a sidemount clinic this weekend and a Father's day dive next. After that, I'm back in the mix again.

BTW, Nice vid.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom