Sunken Pyramids of the Nile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrVegas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently watched a 2-parter "Expedition Unknown" show with Josh Gates and archaeologists diving into sunken chambers under a pyramid in Sudan. Pretty interesting set of shows generally. Just curious if any of the cave diver or working diver types on the forums and had seen this and what they thought about it.

:popcorn:

Maybe also check out Nat Geo Flooded Tombs of the Nile. These are all about the excavations of Nastasan’s tomb in Sudan. I think Exped Unknown covers a more recent expedition.

I chatted with the lead archeologist last year about the effort and his plans for his Nov 2022 expedition, including the challenges of diving the site.

if I remember correctly, it’s fundamentally a silt trap and many of the interesting artifacts are trapped In the silt. Visibility is an immediate problem. Apparently there is no easy/safe way to reduce water levels due to risk of collapse.

it’s all surface supplied air at minimal depths — shallow silty caving. Definitely exciting, but maybe the drama is a bit
overblown for entertainment purposes.

I watched it and as a dive safety officer, I had a lot of concerns about how they made it appear. It appeared like they were using surface supplied air with only a small spare air for redundancy in an overhead environment. I know that they work to make diving look more dangerous and it could be that they weren't really in an overhead, but if they were, then their safety protocols are bonkers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom