Sunscreen & Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option is to wear lycra suit under the wetsuit and leave it on between dives. When wet the lycra will help keep you cool on the surface interval. but it dries pretty quickly.

Dive Skin Rashguard 3 Piece Package | MAKO Spearguns

MDSR3P-2T.jpg

Certain chemicals can degrade neoprene, but I don't think any are in sunscreen. Sunscreen is effective if you apply it 15-20 minutes before sun exposure (I've yet to get this through to family and friends who either spray or rub on lotion and then immediately jump in our pool only to rinse most of it off.)

My routine is to apply sunscreen soon after I get up the morning of a dive so I have some protection as I'm walking, riding, or driving to the dive op and taking the boat ride before suiting up for a first dive. Your wetsuit is the best sun protection you will have on the boat (and in the water.) Once you have completed the dive and you remove your wetsuit, you are probably going to want to reapply sunscreen as you will have rinsed much off in the water. As I am bad about reapplying until I get back to where I am staying, I have become better about either 1) unzipping my wetsuit, but leaving in over my shoulders during surface intervals 2) spending more time in the shade on the boat during surface intervals or on the ride back to shore 3) putting on a hat between dives and putting on a sunshirt when heading back to shore.

The following, if I linked it correctly, is a thread from years ago on SB. I didn't read it all so don't know if there is any good info:
Neoprene wet suit and Sun screen ???

The sun will probably damage the wetsuit more than the sunscreen, IMHO. I find I get burned on the spots where the wetsuit rubs skin on the collar of the neck and the skirt of my mask. I leave the suit on between dives unless it is a really long interval. Of coarse, an hour in a wetsuit topside in Rhode Island is different than one in the Maldives (or any other nice dive location...).

I burn easily and always apply sunscreen on dive days before I don my wet/dry suit. So far, no signs of damage from the sunscreen on any of my gear.

Stream2Sea is great sunscreen - but it's VERY white on your skin. It seems you have to choose between protecting the reef by looking like Caspar the Friendly Ghost or not protecting the reef. I decided on protecting the reef and had fun with it. I look goofy but embrace it! I wouldn't worry about the neoprene being broken down by the chemicals in Stream2Sea, but you can always check out the thread in the Women's Perspectives forum and ask Amber (she works for the company) and get the low-down.

Hi Kimela - thanks for recommending Stream2Sea. I like that you embrace it - the surfers wear white with pride - but you really shouldn't look like Casper unless you are over applying (which I sometimes do on a liveaboard if I know I won't reapply all day). I find that a small pea size amount in the palm of my hands, pressed onto my face, then blended works best for me. If you apply at least five minutes before getting geared up, it shouldn't leave a residue on your wetsuit. If it does, a little soap and water, and it will come off. Same with your skin of course - at the end of the day, you will need a little soap and water to remove.

I've never had a problem with sunscreen and wetsuits, but I don't put it on much more than my face/neck/shoulders, etc. and rarely am I in such tropical waters to be concerned. But, my first (used) wetsuit lasted over 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom