Support my LDS? Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you are asking the wrong question. I would not entertain the thought, for one moment, of sticking with shop #1 as my primary LDS.

I live in Atlanta - but I don't dive here. Somehow I have ended up with a strong relationship at three dive shops - I guess you could say I have three primary LDS'... one in Atlanta, one in SC, and one in N FL. Even so, from time to time, I may visit other dive shops in the towns in which I have already have established primary relationships. If, however, there was an owner at any of those dive shops, such as the one to which you are referring, I would have negative interest in patronizing his shop much less taking classes from him, regardless of cost or lack thereof.

Sounds like Shop #2 is a great option for you. And I'd continue to try to get gas at shop #1, because it is convenient for you. if the guy is a jerk, politely reiterate your request to have your tanks filled, if he continues, write him off.

A free course is a free course. If you did your OW, AOW, and Rescue courses with this LDS and felt that these courses were well-taught and safe, why not get a free divemaster course? If it doesn't go well, drop it without any personal losses.

The only problems I could foresee are if he's extremely peeved that you're buying from another store and he drags on the divemaster course by making you continuously do irrelevant labor for the course. You don't even need to let him know you bought gear somewhere else; most of your gear is from him anyway. He might just be aggressively selling to you because he knows that it has worked so far.

I think you should also still get air from that shop if your only gripe is with the pushy sales and the cockiness.

Glad to have a little affirmation that I'm doing the right thing by moving on.

Any thoughts on the divemaster thing?
Why do you want to be a divemaster? Shops sell this as a natural progression of certifications, but if you are not planning to work as a divemaster or instructor, don't take courses to become one.

He does not sound like someone I would do business with but you have been doing business for 8 months. Why exactly are you entitled to a discount? I mean, very few other places work that way outside the dive world and there is no rule that dive ops have to work that way. I understand what you are saying, we have a LDS that I will not buy from because there stuff is over-priced and will often be marked up just walking it to the counter. Of course, there are several places within a few minutes drive of each other so I don't have to buy from them.

You should probably start shopping online more.

I'm not entitled to a discount, but after spending as much as I have, and knowing that things can be had for substantially cheaper, it makes me question why I spend my money there.

Other things of note: I dove with him back in November to get certified. I didn't buy anything, stop in, or otherwise think about the place until May. So most of my dealings have been in the last couple of months. So while it's been a total of 8 months, most of this has gone down in the past 2-3 months.
Also, he roped me into making purchases there by leading me to believe that by allowing me to use rental gear a few times for free justified his pricing. After doing some really simple math after the fact vs pricing elsewhere & online, I have it figured that the "free" rental gear cost me in the neighborhood of $125 per rental.

I have one LDS that is very close to competitive to online with prices. They are also very nice to me and my husband.
The second LDS, my husband has always been loyal there because he did his IDC through the shop, has been going there for about 15 years, has sent his students there for rentals and gear purchases.
The friendly LDS-gives us a pro discount, in fact, free air ( 2 tanks a day) and 10% above wholesale price.
The second LDS, where husband was always loyal-husband purchased a computer for me, was given his usual 20% instructor discount. Next week, owner ( who was the IDC course director and knows my husband, well) refused to give him a discount on a $30 item because he says he no longer gives discounts to private instructors.
So much for years of loyalty to the original LDS! We now frequent the friendly dive shop and would send any student or other local diver we know there.
Customer service is the only way local dive shops can survive today's economy. And, loyalty goes both ways.

I have a crap LDS too... so I buy online and take what little I need from the LDS - air.

I'd stay away from that shop's DM training... sounds like you'll be just getting a piece of plastic and a ton of BS rather than an experienced mentor who cares about their student. At least that's the impression your description leads to..

Your first LDS is compensating for a small SMB. To help someone with a free-flow and get them to the surface is an obligation (if properly trained and equipped) and, while you might draw a sense of self-worth from the accomplishment, you should not humiliate the person whom you helped.

My suggestion would be to stop thinking about divemaster and instructor status for now - once you gain the ability to earn a living from your certification your agency will require an annual membership fee plus (in most cases) a mandatory liability insurance policy, all of which are not cheap. Take more courses and have fun.

why get divemaster: not sure, really. I guess like you all said it, just the "natural progression" of things. I dont really have any desire to teach or etc, so I'm really not sure why I'd take it. I can say for certain that I would not take the class if I was paying for it.

Also, I'm sort of worried about the quality of the course. Like it was mentioned, I think I will catch a lot of flack and just get another piece of plastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom