Sure SOUNDS good, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Quote from a sales pitch on LP:
"When using the standard, flat fin, propulsion is inhibited solely by fault of design. When the leg is completely extended, there remains an angle of 27 degrees between the heel of the foot and the calf of the leg. This 27-degree angle causes 10% of the propulsion that is produced by the kicking motion to be lost. Because the fin is angled below the body, during the kick phase, the body is pushed up and forward, instead of straight ahead. With a normal flat fin, 10% of the diver exertion to propel him forward is lost by battling this upward force. With the TUSA X-PERTZOOM FIN, that 27-degree angle has been incorporated into the fin. This means that when the leg is fully extended, even though the angle exists between the foot and calf, the fin ends up parallel to the leg. This means that 100% of the energy expended during the kicking phase is directed toward the propulsion of the diver."

What do you think??? Are they talking standard flutter kick only?

...and am not all that happy with them. Granted, I haven't tried them since last winter when I was down in the islands.

From my experience, they are talking about a small flutter kick only, but it seems that they would be well suited to a frog kick too, and if I knew how to do a frog kick I'd try it.

I'll say this for the ones that I have... they're PRETTY.

I have a pair.... when I first tried them, I hated them. I couldn't get moving. Then it became a challenge to master them. With about 2 dives and lots of free swimming with them, I figured out the secret. Small fast kicks keeping the fins in your slipstream. After I got used to them and got some practice, I had people giving me the slow down signal all the time. I wasn't working hard and could "ZOOM" around (pardon the pun)

Frog kicks can be done with a little practice, but not as efficiently as blades. They also don't accelerate very well. But once you get up to speed, it's not as tiring on your legs. But it does take practice to master them.

I bought them to replace a lost long time friend. I needed fins fast and got a good price on the Tusas...One of my Jets died a horrible death on the highway due to a faulty pickup truck tailgate. Guess it could have been worse... it could have been everything back there:( Luckily only my fins were laying lose. All the rest of my stuff was bagged and stapped in for the ride.

On the plus side:

Easy on the legs, you can fin all day and not cramp up. Good top speed with little effort.

On the minus side:

Very slow accelleration. Learning curve.... you shouldn't need to learn to kick all over again.

I'll probably keep them for a while.... but I sure miss my Jets:upset:

... I guess. I made six dives down in the islands while on a cruise in January. On the first two islands (four dives) I was ready to burn those darn fins! By the last day of diving, I was getting around OK, but I still much prefer my Turtle Fins, especially with my drysuit.

Funny, when I was in Kingston a few weeks ago, there was a fellow on the boat with us wearing a pair and he just loved them. I was wearing my turtle fins and got around just great.

We're going to Gilboa this weekend and want to make about 8 dives...I may take the Zoom fins and give them a try with my drysuit on....:)

Well, I just bought a pair of Atomic Splitfins, 'cause the price was right and they fit so well. Also I like the idea of the firmer ribs, so, we'll see...

I've been using a pair, too.
My impression is they are very close in feel to paddle fins, so you don't really have to learn a new style of kick to get around.

From my experience of using them for the past 3 years, they have excellent maneuverability, are as good as paddle fins for sculling, are more efficient with flutter kicks. They also have good accelleration. The only skill where I have found them a little lacking (although still quite workable) is in backward kicks. Also, frog kicks are adequate, but not as good as jet fins.

Overall, I'm sure you'll love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom