Surf Exit Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any tricks, tips or things they've learned on surf exit?

I've got the whole entry down with problems but I'm a mess on the surf exit. I take my fins off when I can just barely touch bottom, then as I walk out of the surf I am inverably finding myself falling and then ya know the rest. The whole washing machine experience describes it to a T. I don't panic, just crawl out... ( I've got a couple of equipment things I want to try - Steel 80, drop some lead off the back too. )

I saw two divers today take their BC's off before the shoreline. They towed their BC in, "tired diver style", aka Tank Valve tow. Looks interesting.

There are two other options, neither one graceful. You can hold your fins and after a wave passes by, run like hell for the beach. The undertow usually prevents this. You could also crawl out and hope to keep your mask, fins and dignity. If there are others on the beach, they will probably rush to you thinking you are injured. You may not like this, but the best advice I can give is to look at the waves before going in and tell yourself there are better diving days ahead and sadly return to your vehicle. That's hard advice to take, and I still find myself ignoring it occasionally. :D

... or rather than messing around with your fins in the surf zone, you could just keep your fins on and walk out of the water backward. I'm sure there are more options....

Lexy:
I take my fins off when I can just barely touch bottom, then as I walk out of the surf I am inverably finding myself falling and then ya know the rest.
I often find that after an hour in relaxing zero-G my balance is a little unsteady when I'm coming out of the water. So if depths and surf permit, I try to spend a minute standing just past the surf zone getting my sea legs before continuing.

One other habit I've picked up is that I never turn my back on the ocean, no matter how tranquil the surf seems. Once or twice I've gotten memorably knocked and tumbled by a sneaker wave that came out of nowhere.

Edit: About the cylinder, I haven't dived an aluminum tank in a couple of years. Too much lead required, making for unhappy knees after beach strolls. Nowadays I pretty much standardize on a steel 100 for most beach dives, occasionally switching to a steel 80 for shallow dives with significant climbs to bluff parking (Malaga Cove comes to mind). The 100 isn't bad; when you factor in tank weight and an extra couple of pounds needed on the belt to compensate for buoyancy, it adds up to a rig only about 5 lbs heavier on dry land than the 80, but with 25% more gas.

First, you should be watching the conditions for 20 minutes before entering. Everyone hears this in the OW course, but few experienced divers (me included) do it religiously. You need at least 20 minutes to get a sense of whether waves are building or not, which is the only way to get a sense of what it'll be like an hour or two later when you exit.

The thing to remember about waves is that all the energy is at the top; that's why it makes sense to dive under the waves. The other thing to remember about surf entries is that the goal is to minimize your time in the surf zone. It shouldn't take more than 10 - 20 seconds to get through the surf zone.

BEFORE ENTERING: Mask around your neck, not on your face, so you don't lose it in the surf. We teach not to have a reg in your mouth; you don't really need it and I've heard of at least one diver that embolized as a result of breathing just as a wave descended. The timing would have to be about perfect for this to happen but, since you don't really need it, why take the risk? Hold a fin in each hand by something secure, like a strap. A wave can very easily rip one from your fingers if you only hold it by the blade. Make sure your BC is FULLY DEFLATED ... if you need to dive under a wave you don't want an 'inner tube' around your body. A couple of years ago a guy bullied his instructor to take him into large surf at Shaw's cove. His BC wasn't deflated, a 12-footer came along, picked him up and dumped him on his head forcefully, killing him.

ENTERING: Wait for the lull and walk quickly to chest high depth; stop shallower and the water won't support you, which makes you unstable and more likely to fall over. Be careful to judge "chest" deep at it's lowest point (just before a wave gets to you). Many people stop too soon, then find themselves unexpectedly in knee deep water with a wave heading their way. If you have trouble staying in contact with the bottom just bounce a bit.

Keep an eye on the waves at all times. If a wave is a "round one" simply bob over it. If a wave looks like a "flat one" then you need to go under it ... the backwash will make it impossible to run from all but the smallest waves. To duck under it simply go down on ONE knee (not two, don't dive under it head first); this leaves you ideally positioned to stand back up quickly and get going. Ducking under a wave is easier than you might think, because the wave actually 'sucks' you under it and spits you out the back side (also why you can't run from it). If you mis-judge the "chest high" point in the paragraph above and see a flat wave coming, you need to run at it QUICKLY before ducking under it. All the stuff I see about "bracing yourself" against a wave or 2 buddies holding onto each other for balance doesn't work; the ocean is just too powerful.

It should take you 5 - 10 seconds at most to put your fins on. That means no fiddling with buckles, straps, or adjustments. You should have your fin straps set to the proper setting before you enter ... I even duct tape mine (mostly to keep them from snagging kelp). This seems to be where new beach divers run into trouble, messing around with all the innovative snaps that the manufacturers insist on but aren't really needed. Put your fins on by having one leg for a "figure 4", using the opposite hand to QUICKLY slip it on. I like to hold my fins by the straps, with the tops facing my body, because it seems to work well with the 'figure 4.". Practice it in a pool, in chest deep water (away from the pool rail) until it becomes second nature, taking only a few seconds and without any need to look down.

Once you have your fins on, get on your back, kick hard for 15 - 20 feet, inflating your BC once you're sure you are past the surf zone.

EXITING: Pretty much the reverse of the above. I like to come to 6 - 7' of depth on scuba before ascending, just to avoid the surface swim. If you do a surface swim, it's a good idea to snorkel in because you can easily see the depth. Just as above, stop in chest-deep water, deflate your BC COMPLETELY (many people forget this, then panic because they can't touch bottom easily) and put your mask around your neck before taking off your fins. We teach folks to take their reg out of their mouth but, frankly, the benefit of being relaxed because you always KNOW you can breathe probably out-weighs the risk of embolizing should a wave break on top of you. Again, don't fiddle with buckles unless you simply can't get the darn things off. If you mis-judge the depth and get too deep either "bounce" shallower or, if you're waaaayyy too deep, put a fin at the end of each arm and use them to paddle shallower. The SOCDC teaches people to stop past the surf zone then paddle to standing depth this way which is ok, but is slower, takes more energy, and can make it look like you're signalling for help to people on the beach.

Timing waves on the way out is a bit more difficult, simply because of the lower vantage point, but the process is basically the same. Wait for a smaller wave, then use it to "push" you up towards the beach. If you have to duck under a wave while waiting for the lull, remember that it will push you shallower and you need to compensate by running back to chest depth. People sometimes do a great job ducking under a wave, forget this, then get pounded by the next big one. Don't be in a hurry to exit after you've ducked a wave or two; I've had to wait out a set of 12 before exiting. People get nervous, then "bolt" for the beach at a bad time.

Once you make a decision to exit, it's all asses and elbows; Pump your legs (high stepping) hard to get out of the last few feet of water and onto the beach. NEVER take your eyes off the surf until you are on dry land; can't tell you how many people do everything right, forget about the last 2 feet of waves, and get knocked over by a small wave that hits them in the back of knees and topples them (like your friends used to do to you in high school). Some people prefer to exit sideways, bouncing out, but I find it better to run forward looking sideways at the water.

If all else fails and you DO get knocked down, stay calm and crawl like a baby on all 4's; safety, not style, matters. Also try to remember that waves last only a few seconds and that even the most pathetic person can hold their breath for a minute. Finally, write your name and number on your gear; the ocean giveth and the ocean taketh, especially if you are a beach diver!

You'll hear instructors teaching students to back out of waves with their fins on .... Rodale's sometimes runs an article that teaches this ... but ignore them. It makes you much slower and less steady in the surf zone, where you need to be fast and solid. I think that's why the article is accompanied by photos of people exiting from a lake with no waves. We often see entire classes, including the instructor, get knocked down by a 2'wave using this technique.

Frank O:
I often find that after an hour in relaxing zero-G my balance is a little unsteady when I'm coming out of the water. So if depths and surf permit, I try to spend a minute standing just past the surf zone getting my sea legs before continuing.

Me too! And I have no qualms about crawling (fast!) if I am too shaky or the grade is too steep to manage as a biped.

Frank O:
Nowadays I pretty much standardize on a steel 100 for most beach dives, occasionally switching to a steel 80 for shallow dives with significant climbs to bluff parking (Malaga Cove comes to mind). The 100 isn't bad; when you factor in tank weight and an extra couple of pounds needed on the belt to compensate for buoyancy, it adds up to a rig only about 5 lbs heavier on dry land than the 80, but with 25% more gas.

Lexy shouldn't need a steel 100 for beach dives. She's a petite woman who will have better air consumption than most guys... especially with practice!

Also, the lead requirement for the HP80 and HP 100 should be the same. They have virtually identical negative buoyancy at 500 psi. I use both and the lead is the same for the HP 65, 80, and 100. Isn't it??? I can look for the PST chart.

Wait just beyond the surf zone and watch the swells. Wait for the waves to pass, then kick in quickly until your able to firmly touch the ground with both feet. Take your fins off rapidly and go as quickly as possible facing the surf. After several yards up the beach you should be able to exit without getting tumbled by the surf. If you have a rocky bottom it's definitly more difficult and dangerous.

If you are falling from the weight of your scuba rig you could get a steel tank, but I would suggest you exercise to increase your leg strength. Men are usually stronger than women leg-wise so they can carry all that weight more easily (or with less difficulty). Weight training will probably help a lot. Those Laguna stairs are really difficult in some spots!

I hope this helps!

Sean

Like everyone says, its timing. In surge/wave conditions, don't take your eyes of the waves as you exit. Once I can make contact with the bottom, I make sure my BC is completely deflated so it doesn't assist in dragging me back out, REG IN MOUTH, remove one fin, make sure I can maintain my spot, remove the 2nd, time it and run, hop, flop in.

i prefer the 1st of max's 2 methods....mydivelog's posting was very good, I enter exit the same way, except I always leave my mask on, that's just my personal preference. Some people are prone to having things knocked off by waves...

about the only thing I can add, is that when you are running like heck towards the beach, with an eye on the waves, if one does hit you, try to turn at the last second and take in on your side, facing perpendicular to the wave, legs bent and spread apart, weight lowered. (Called a horse stance). this will give you the best chance of not being knocked over.

Scott

Many or most of the dives in SoCal are in or around coves, which means that there are typically reefs or points jutting out on your left and/or right when entering or exiting. That gives you an opportunity to see how big the waves are before they get to you. When I'm ready to enter, I first hang around on shore a bit to see if there are any big waves breaking out on the reefs, and if there are, that means they're headed my way, so I continue to wait. Then when it's quiet on the reef it means there's a lull coming, and I can start my entry. Same thing for exiting the ocean. I've seen a lot of folks just bolt into the ocean without stopping for a moment and checking the reefs, and as a result they get slammed around like a Barbie doll in the mouth of a rabid pit bull. Otherwise I do as Scott suggested and time the sets as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom