Surf Exit Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji:
Actually, this method can work well... I also used this method the same day Frenchy did it...works great on gently sloping shores like La Jolla, where the waves are not plunging.

Scott

Oh I forgot that is right, Thanks scott Id hate to see someone try that at bigrock reef or any other reef break or plunging break. Or you may end up like my surfboard I was surfing that same week at a reef break

Check out my profile pic.

Many thanks as always for the words of wisdom and a few chuckles too! I really appreciate the responses and will definitely use the pointers in the coming weekends.

So if ya'll dive Shaw's in the next couple of days - if you see a black mask with clear snorkle let me know! That was my Sunday sacrifice upon exit. There's a set of white initials on the mask strap, "AM". :)

Hi Lexy,

You've received some great responses, so I won't bore you with a lengthy response. :wink: The best tip I can give you, and one I learned from my dive buddy Divinman, is to clip off your fins as soon as you take them off. I have two clips on my BC. I take off a fin, then clip it off. Take off the other one, and clip it off. Mask is on my face and reg in my mouth until I back into waist high or shallower water, then mask is lowered around my neck and the reg is clipped off to my BC also. I never hold anything in my hands when I enter or exit, everything is clipped off until needed and reclipped when I'm done with it.

Although this is longer than planned :eyebrow: , just another quick thought. I try to swim in on the bottom until I reach 4' or so. If that's not possible, I kick in until I can comfortably stand up, not just on my toes or in neck deep water, then back in until it's safe to remove my fins. If a big wave is incoming, I simply drop down below it (the same as entering) then stand up and continue my progress.

John

krowsea:
Hi Lexy,

You've received some great responses, so I won't bore you with a lengthy response. :wink: The best tip I can give you, and one I learned from my dive buddy Divinman, is to clip off your fins as soon as you take them off. I have two clips on my BC. I take off a fin, then clip it off. Take off the other one, and clip it off. Mask is on my face and reg in my mouth until I back into waist high or shallower water, then mask is lowered around my neck and the reg is clipped off to my BC also. I never hold anything in my hands when I enter or exit, everything is clipped off until needed and reclipped when I'm done with it.

Although this is longer than planned :eyebrow: , just another quick thought. I try to swim in on the bottom until I reach 4' or so. If that's not possible, I kick in until I can comfortably stand up, not just on my toes or in neck deep water, then back in until it's safe to remove my fins. If a big wave is incoming, I simply drop down below it (the same as entering) then stand up and continue my progress.

John

Ohhh wow, I like the clip-off idea!! That would be nice because then I'd have my hands free.
Questions for you:
1. Have you ever had your mask pulled off from around your neck? Is there a way to prevent that - perhaps another clip off to the BC?

2. So by clipping off the reg - in the event a nasty wave rips it from your mouth, you know where it is, quickly?

3. Do you "clip off" then swim to 4'? Or swim to 4' first, then begin the clip off sequence?

Lexy:
1. Have you ever had your mask pulled off from around your neck? Is there a way to prevent that - perhaps another clip off to the BC?

I've never had a mask come off that was on my neck. On your face or forhead, with the mask facing forward or backwards, it is a possibility. Less so facing forward though.

Lexy:
2. So by clipping off the reg - in the event a nasty wave rips it from your mouth, you know where it is, quickly?
Correct. I clip it off high and on the opposite side to my safe second. Although it is clipped off in a more secure method than the safe second, it is high enough, and with enough lead on the clip, that in a pinch I can breath off of it while still clipped.

Lexy:
3. Do you "clip off" then swim to 4'? Or swim to 4' first, then begin the clip off sequence?

I usually swim in on the bottom, in full scuba gear, and don't surface until I'm in 4' of water. If all goes well, my head never breaks the surface once I start the dive until I do get to 4'. Of course, this would need to be modified, based on extremely poor visibility conditions coupled with rocks or obstructions possible near the exit. That said, Divinman and I have scuba'd in along the bottom with less than 10" of visibility and extremely high surf and surge more times than I should willingly admit. :wink:

It's nice to go under the danger zone though, and surface in shallow water. The key, or Zen of this procedure though, is to work with the ocean, not against it. Especially in very limited vis, you move in on the incoming surge and dig in on the outflow, kicking just enough to maintain position, never trying to overpower the sea, for it will win. Your compass and your depth gauge are you best buddies here, and of course you are wary of Stingrays. I shuffle my hands on the bottom whenever I get close, which gives the same warning as shuffling your feet as you enter.

John

First, to answer mccabejc's question, Scottfiji and I are parallels in Seinfeld's "Bizarro World."

As to Lexi's 3 questions:

1. No ... your head would have to come off first and, if that's the case, you have bigger problems to worry about. Seriously, I recommend putting the mask around your neck specifically because you really can't lose it that way. Don't beat yourself up about losing your mask. There's a little-known law of scuba-diving karma: if you help others you will eventually find duplicates of everything you lose.

2. I exit without my reg in my mouth, but forgot to mention that I clip it off outside the surf zone to keep it from getting in the sand and to keep it from getting banged against my tank. I guess a big wave could theoretically rip the reg from your mouth... I got tumbled when I first started diving and, if memory recalls, it took a prybar and five strong men to pry my teeth apart far enough to remove the mouthpiece.

3. Gotta tell you that I'm not a big fan of
a) Swimming to 4' of depth before surfacing: 4' depth can become 2' very easily as a large wave approaches, leaving you very unstable. Also, you could easily surface inside the surf zone, which isn't good. My approach is to surface at 6' - 10' (I'm 6'3"), then surface swim the last few yards after I've judged things a bit.
b) Clipping off the fins: I'm not a big fan of anything that slows you down in the surf zone. As I said, the thing that seems to create the most problems is the students fiddling with the buckles and straps on their fins. My sense is that trying to locate the clips on the straps to hold your fins would be more of the same. I also like knowing that, if you mis-judge the depth a bit and can't 'bounce' shallow, you have the fins in your hands to paddle closer to shore. If you've already clipped them off and find yourself a bit too deep you've got a real problem.

Many folks, when they run into problems beach-diving, simply give up on it and revert to being boat divers. I'm glad to see that you're taking it as learning opportunity instead.

MyDiveLog:
b) Clipping off the fins: I'm not a big fan of anything that slows you down in the surf zone.

I thought the same thing, until I replaced the third fin that was ripped from my hands by heavy surf, regardless of the death grip I had on the strap. :eyebrow: I've never lost a piece of equipment since I've started clipping everything off while in the surf zone. Great point though MyDiveLog, each person has to find a comfort zone, and a system that works for them. Thanks!

John

Lots of different and good advice here....but two words (maybe it was posted, haven't read every post)

Spring straps

Goal is to get in and out of the surf zone ASAP, most of the delay in the surf zone is caused by the fumbling with fins straps, clips, etc.. Spring straps are golden for this. Reach down slip fin on, slip strap over heel, and you're gone.

Chris

krowsea:
I thought the same thing, until I replaced the third fin that was ripped from my hands by heavy surf, regardless of the death grip I had on the strap. :eyebrow: I've never lost a piece of equipment since I've started clipping everything off while in the surf zone. Great point though MyDiveLog, each person has to find a comfort zone, and a system that works for them. Thanks!

John

Agreed .. the best system is the one that works for you. I've dove in some pretty big surf and never lost a fin when I was holding it by the strap ...you must be diving in REALLY big surf! Lots of times I see divers attempting to resolve problems with additional gear (adding weight, fancy fin straps, ankle weights, etc.), when the problem can often be resolved by improved technique. If clipping off your fins is something you can do easily and quickly, that's probably as good a solution. How long does it take you to do this? Is it something you can do easily on a night dive?

Lexy:

I'll preface this with saying that I wear contact lenses, otherwise, I'd be a fan of around the neck.

That said... if it's really big surf, I like pulinging my hood over the mask strap. Once through the surf I usually change this as I find it more comfortable.

Of course, I'm also one of those old geezers that still puts his fins on before going in and takes them off after coming out. I don't mind doing the backward shuffle and will crawl out or quickly remove the fins (if there is a nice interval between waves) if I get knocked down. I don't do this with rock entries. :wink:

Christian

Back
Top Bottom