Surf Exit Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm suprised it took so long to mention spring straps. I just upgraded to them on the advice of many on this board and love em. Much easier to don/doff, and that's great in surf when you really need to move quickly.

I thought Lexy and others might find these doodads useful...a couple of options for clipping fins off to your BC if you choose to go that way (I just upgraded to this setup too, and I like it, if only for entry):
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BCQR7

This one is more what krowsea was talking about, I believe:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...dex=4&CategoryID=976&Context=974&Filter=6=396

And you could obviously jury rig them with fastec clips in any number of ways...

Thanks for the great info, all! :D

Gregg

Spring straps are nice (I just got a pair a month ago), and I'm hooked. However, while entering the water this weekend I was trying unsuccessfully to put my right fin on, and finally realized that the spring strap had gotten twisted so that the hook in the rear twisted around to the front. Took me the longest time to get it straightened out. Arrggh...

And it seems like one of my feet is slightly bigger than the other, and since they are not adjustable, one fits perfect and the other is a tad loose. Double arrggh....

mccabejc:
Spring straps are nice (I just got a pair a month ago), and I'm hooked. However, while entering the water this weekend I was trying unsuccessfully to put my right fin on, and finally realized that the spring strap had gotten twisted so that the hook in the rear twisted around to the front. Took me the longest time to get it straightened out. Arrggh...

And it seems like one of my feet is slightly bigger than the other, and since they are not adjustable, one fits perfect and the other is a tad loose. Double arrggh....

You can replace one of your springs. You can buy one on McMaster-Carr's web site www.mcmaster.com
They are pretty cheap.
If you need any rigging advice, do a search on www.thedecostop.com

MyDiveLog:
If clipping off your fins is something you can do easily and quickly, that's probably as good a solution. How long does it take you to do this? Is it something you can do easily on a night dive?

Actually, I've clipped 'em off at night in REALLY big surf waaaaay too many times. :eyebrow: It's just a matter of seconds (never stopped to count). My fins come off very easy, whether I'm wearing booties with a wetsuit or built in boots with a dry suit. The clips are high on my right side and easy to see with the mask on, and easy to clip. I've ducked under many a wave with one fin clipped off and one still attached to my foot. By the next set, the other fin is clipped off also. As far as really big surf, ask Divinman, he can back me up on multiple occasions. :D

John

mccabejc:
:11: FREEEEAK!!!!!! :wink:

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I thought Lexy and others might find these doodads useful...a couple of options for clipping fins off to your BC if you choose to go that way (I just upgraded to this setup too, and I like it, if only for entry):
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BCQR7
Gregg

the only problem with this style is it requires your to have both fins in hand, slide the strap through both fin straps and then clip the strap. In high surf in low light, this can be reciept for disaster (speaking from experience). I prefer the indivigual clips for each fin option. In really booming surf, I have actually taken my fins off underwater, clipped them and then surfaced ready to run like hell between sets. Just my opinon. YMMV

Terry

divinman:
the only problem with this style is it requires your to have both fins in hand, slide the strap through both fin straps and then clip the strap.
Terry

I concur. I actually used a strap like this for a month or so, and found it actually more cumbersome than Divinman lets on. I switched to the two seperate clips that he mentioned, and found them to be much faster to use and safer, since you can do one quickly, wait for your next chance, then clip the second one. With the strap, it's all or nothing. Trying to thread the strap through both fins, and not dropping them while waves are pounding you, proved to be problematic for me.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom