Surf Exit Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like leaving my fins and mask on and my regulator in. I back into the surf sort of side ways keeping and eye on the surf. As soon as I’m deep enough I drop forward into the water, ride the rip of the last wave out and swim like hell. The last beach exit I did I left one fin on and it seemed to work. If I needed to swim I swam but I had one foot to stand on sort of like a snow boarder.

ALLRIGHT HERE IS THE BEST WAY...
inflate your bc all the way put your reg in your mouth dont let it out!!! kick backwards let the next biggest wave to catch you close your eyes Breathe!!! relax and feel the speed as you jet inwards to the shore. I have done this in overhead surf at la jolla shores it was too much fun.

scottfiji:
Actually MyDiveLog and DiveBuddySean suggested timing the sets. I'm low on patience, so I tend to time them less then I should.

Are you and MyDiveLog related? You've got the same avatar, so everytime I see it I assume it's you. I always associate you with a moray eel.

But then again, I also associate you with Frau Farbissina shouting "SCOTT !!!" to Dr. Evil's quasi-evil son.

Good Ideas All. After diving for more than 30yrs commercial diving, and LOTS of sport diving on the weekends and vacations, I just want to add that I always use the regulator in the mouth until I stand and the fins are off. I agree that deflated Dry suit and BCD, swimming in as far as possable before commiting to exit. If the diver does snorkel the way out on the surface the diver will be at the mercy of the water. USN Master Diver Jimmy Johns' said the water has no mercy.
Keep the air supply coming until almost out of the water. No sand will get into the reg. That is what damages the regulator for the most part for beach access diving.
Bill

kelphelper:
Lexy shouldn't need a steel 100 for beach dives. She's a petite woman who will have better air consumption than most guys... especially with practice!
Yes, an 80 works a lot of the time. I just need that extra edge to keep up with those buddies with SACs around .40 ... :)

kelphelper:
Also, the lead requirement for the HP80 and HP 100 should be the same. They have virtually identical negative buoyancy at 500 psi. I use both and the lead is the same for the HP 65, 80, and 100. Isn't it??? I can look for the PST chart.
Here's the chart --

http://www.pstscuba.com/specsheet.pdf

In theory the 100 is a pound and a half more buoyant than the 80 when empty. To tell the truth, though, I haven't run a comparison to fine-tune to this degree -- my buoyancy is usually affected more by other factors like different camera gear, vests or no, etc, etc.

On the other hand, the dry weight of the 100 is 5 lbs more than the 80 (a little more than I was remembering). So worst case scenario, walking down the stairs at the beginning, the 100 would be 5 lbs (dry weight) + 1.5 pounds (extra on belt to compensate for buoyancy) + ~1.5 lbs (weight of extra air in the cylinder) = 8 lbs heavier than the 80.

At any rate, I found the weight differential between the two to be not that great in my case (but then again I'm not petite, though age-impaired knees do enter into the equation). I did find the buoyancy characteristics of the PSTs to be more favorable than Fabers, though, so I'd hold out for the former rather than the latter.

As you can see there are many ways to exit the water.

To sum it up. The common thread is exit is the same as entry. Sit outside the surf zone and relax, get a feel for the wave cycle and then on the last wave head for the beach with speed. Fins on or off. Personally I preferr the speed of fins off. I get into barely touching range, which should be outside the surf zone. If if it not then you have some big waves and have to question why you were diving that day. If you are in a large wave situation, there is the Monestary Crawl. Crawl out on hands and knees.

Note, on exit keep an eye on the ocean. IF you notice the water rushing past you out to see, there is a WAVE comming, turn sideways and prepare for it. IF it is knee or less, brace yourself. IF higher than you knee, get down on yours and dive under the puppy.

Frank O:
Here's the chart --

http://www.pstscuba.com/specsheet.pdf

In theory the 100 is a pound and a half more buoyant than the 80 when empty. To tell the truth, though, I haven't run a comparison to fine-tune to this degree -- my buoyancy is usually affected more by other factors like different camera gear, vests or no, etc, etc.

It's funny...I remember less differential between the 3 tanks sizes. I thought it was <1 lb between them all. I will place masking tape on my 3 tanks with the negative buoyancy ratings so I can fine tune even more so!

Old knees.... tell me about it!! I think I'll go do some quad work right now!!!

Frenchy2005:
ALLRIGHT HERE IS THE BEST WAY...
inflate your bc all the way put your reg in your mouth dont let it out!!! kick backwards let the next biggest wave to catch you close your eyes Beathe!!! relax and feel the speed as you jet inwards to the shore. I have done this in overhead surf at la jolla shores it was too much fun.

Actually, this method can work well... I also used this method the same day Frenchy did it...works great on gently sloping shores like La Jolla, where the waves are not plunging.

Scott

scottfiji:
Actually, this method can work well... I also used this method the same day Frenchy did it...works great on gently sloping shores like La Jolla, where the waves are not plunging.

Scott

And where there's no rocks to slam into while you're bodysurfing into shore.

Back
Top Bottom