Survey (please help me for my college class!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to do a survey for a business class also. How many responses are you wanting before you crunch the numbers?

I think it may have been better to ask an estimated number of dives logged (1-10, 10-20, etc), but you would have to go up in the hundreds for some of the SB members.

The locations near me are not IN Houston at all, but the surrounding area. I listed them all as Houston Area.

Hope it doesn't skew your data.
The due date is 12/2 and I'm planning on entering the data sometime the week before. I'm really most interested in the statistics portion of gathering the data.

I did it, but my answers may not have been 100% what you're looking for, as for me... Where and when I go diving are with just dive boats without dive shops. The Dive shop I use for gear and such... doesn't have a boat.

FWIW.

I did it, but my answers may not have been 100% what you're looking for, as for me... Where and when I go diving are with just dive boats without dive shops. The Dive shop I use for gear and such... doesn't have a boat.

FWIW.

no worries. :) just some preliminary research. every answer helps!

If you want to expand more on what you're saying, please PM me. :)

I said what I wanted, and I also understand HowardE's later issues. If you need more information beyond what I said, you can PM me.

In summary, there are different kinds of dive shops with different goals and approaches depending upon their locations. One survey cannot cover all, and by using one survey, you are mixing the results of people responding from very different points of view. It's kind of like putting your right foot in ice water and your left foot in scalding water, and then combining the resulting comfort levels to find an average.

I guess my new question is: Are you going to be Raising Kane's and actually open a store with your business project OR are you only using opening a dive shop because it's something you know?

If it's the second one, than alot of people are giving you a hard time for nothing.

What year of your major are you working on?

Looking forward to seeing your paper.

I think that your survey was tilted more toward dive shops encountered at destinations. Most divers spend time/money at local shops based on service and convenience. You will get better data by separating the two. This is especially true of Scubaboard members who tend to own their own gear, have strong affiliations with their local shop, and view a destination shop as a source for air/local knowledge.

Survey done. Good luck with your course.
I think you might have redesigned the survey a bit, because it appeared weighted to people who dive locally, rather than people like me who never dive at home, and subsequently dive with different shops all the time, in many different parts of the world.
- Mortis.

I guess my new question is: Are you going to be Raising Kane's and actually open a store with your business project OR are you only using opening a dive shop because it's something you know?

If it's the second one, than alot of people are giving you a hard time for nothing.

What year of your major are you working on?

Looking forward to seeing your paper.

The second one. I'm just doing it because it is something I'm interested in. A lot of people are doing hobbies they have, night clubs, breweries... The idea of actually opening a dive shop is an unlikely one, I just want to see what kind of results I would actually get and get more information on the field. If I were going to actually go through with a dive shop, I would choose a location first and do more extensive research. Right now the research I am doing is really preliminary. If I were to actually use it for a business proposal, I would go down to dive shops and observe. I could have chose anything, but I chose a dive shop because I was interested in the research I could get. My real dream is to become a business researcher and work with statistics, so making the survey was really fun for me. :dork2: That's why I am really interested in getting feedback.

I am a senior in the business major, I have focuses in accounting and small business/entrepreneurship. I am graduating in May. I'm giving a presentation on this business, and I just wanted to do something I found interesting and wanted more information on. That's all. I'm just a student trying to use a survey to get basic research information to identify a problem or opportunity in regards to opening a SCUBA shop.

Back
Top Bottom