Surviving the hospital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my insight after losing my dad on Nov 4th because the hospital screwed up!!

Insist on 24 hours monitoring. Heart and 02.
Insist on prompt service. It's not your problem the nurse has 21 patients and can't get to you.
Insist on pain meds. Call the dr/surgeon ASAP if no meds are scheduled, and were supposed to be. Record the name of the person you talk to and insist the contact the dr.
DO NOT LEAVE your loved one overnight alone after surgery.

And lastly if you are going in for any type of surgery, please make sure you have LIFE INSURANCE!! On ALL LOANS!! House, car, 2nd mortgage, etc.... If you die and have nothing you leave your family with BILLS!

Funerals nowaday cost at least $5000..... how does your family pay for this when you leave no $$ behind for them??

hnladue:
Here's my insight after losing my dad on Nov 4th because the hospital screwed up!!

Insist on 24 hours monitoring. Heart and 02.
Insist on prompt service. It's not your problem the nurse has 21 patients and can't get to you.
Insist on pain meds. Call the dr/surgeon ASAP if no meds are scheduled, and were supposed to be. Record the name of the person you talk to and insist the contact the dr.
DO NOT LEAVE your loved one overnight alone after surgery.

And lastly if you are going in for any type of surgery, please make sure you have LIFE INSURANCE!! On ALL LOANS!! House, car, 2nd mortgage, etc.... If you die and have nothing you leave your family with BILLS!

Funerals nowaday cost at least $5000..... how does your family pay for this when you leave no $$ behind for them??
I'm sorry to hear you lost your father, hnladue. It sux and it hurts. May you heal strongly.

Thanks to SandShaker for posting these articles. LOTS of good information here.

Protect yourself and your family when health problems arise.
Turn the protection setting up to MAX when you enter a hospital; They are centers of powerful healing and significant dangers. No amount of 'alternative' healthcare will cure cataracts or broken bones. Hospitals are essential and complicated... and humans make errors. You look both ways before crossing a street. Look at everything when you enter a hospital.

Educate yourself and speak-up assertively. Ask questions and continue until you are satisfied with the answers. Then learn more.

And heal.

Claudette

Historically, hospitals were intended for the poor who could not afford to have their care delivered privately to them at home --- hospitals were, and are, notorious havens for nasty microbes. Now you know why we, as surgeons, try to boot people out the door as fast as we can --- it's not all about saving money.

As for medical errors, the situation today was best summarized by surgeon and author Sherwin Nuland in a Wall street journal editorial a few years back. He says, correctly, that the increasingly elderly and increasingly obese and unfit population fails to realize that many of them are only alive because they require more maintenance than the space shuttle, maintenance that will fail them if it isn't perfect.

He gave an example of a man with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) who had two bone marrow transplants and survived ten years --- but needed platelet transfusions almost weekly. In total, the man had received tens of thousands of blood products until, one day, he got a mixed up transfusion and died. An error? Sure --- but in another era and another medical system, he'd have been dead six months after diagnosis. Instead of worshipping the medical profession that gave him ten good years of life with a disease which, only a short time ago, was a death sentence, his family cursed them. The error --- one mixup in tens of thousands of transfusions. Moral of the story: if you need ten thousand transfusions to stay alive, a transfusion reaction is probably going to kill you eventually. Unless, of course, your care is given by gods who never err even over tens of thousands of events.

We in the medical profession should strive for perfection, but we see so many people now that are barely alive --- diabetes, vascular disease, end-stage smoker's lungs, arthritis --- many in their 80s and 90s. Such people can not tolerate any flaw in their care, a level of perfection often not humanly attainable.

Consider this scenario: you are pumping gasoline when the machine malfunctions and douses the area in gasoline --- it's the middle of winter and you have to get away from the area without touching off any static electricity. You try, but your arm comes too close to your car and a spark sets the place on fire. Your fault? Technically yes, but you were put in an impossible situation. That's how I felt when confronted with a man with endstage heart and kidney function, 100 pounds overweight and with years of smoking corroding his lungs, who had fallen and had a blood clot in his head. If he dies during anesthesia, it's a "medical error". In reality, it's the outcome of a lifetime of abuse that often puts physicians in an impossible situation.

People have a right to live their lives as well or as badly as they want, and have a right to the same medical care as everyone else. But many "medical errors" are simply the last tiny straw that broke the camel's back.

Doctors and hospitals make errors, and there is some very good information in that article. But there is a certain degree of paranoia, too, in my opinion.

Insisting that everybody who takes care of you take off all their jewelry is overkill (and I can't do it anyway -- my rings won't come off over my arthritic joints any more). Objecting to EKGs is not going to get you very far -- It's one of the tests I KNOW I order often when it's probably not going to tell me anything, but for one thing, one of the most lethal problems I could miss in a patient whose symptoms aren't clear is an MI, and for another thing, it's going to get me sued if I miss it. So if I think I need to get one, I'm going to order it. Sometimes they do come back abnormal when it's not expected. Furthermore, it's NEVER a bad thing to have a baseline EKG floating around the medical system. Then, when you do come in with chest pain, I'll be able to locate a prior tracing to know if this is just you, or if there are acute changes.

Keeping a medical file on yourself with copies of lab tests, EKGS and the like is incredibly useful to an ER physician. You can save yourself needless tests and you can save me a ton of time and effort trying to chase down what medications you are taking, what prior workup has been done for your condition, and so on.

ERs are busy, and getting busier all the time, as patients lose access to other primary care. (There's a federal law that says that ERs HAVE to see you, regardless of whether your condition is emergent, and regardless of whether you have any ability to pay your bill. No other medical facility or provider is thus commanded.) Busy means people (especially low acuity people) DO get forgotten sometimes, and DO get delayed often. Being proactive can help, but it can also hurt you if you are trying to push people who are already pushed to the wall. I don't have good solutions, except that we always try a little harder for nice patients with real problems.

When my newborn reentered the hospital after having "been in the community" the Children's hospital protoccol did not place him in the neonatal ICU , but in Pediatric ICU. I watched a nurse leave a curtained cubicle with an infectious child, place a suppository on her ungloved acrylic nail and come towards my seven day old son.

Needless to say, I lost it.

I chewed on the director of the neonatal ICU for two days straight begging him to move my son to the NICU. Of course, they kept citing the protoccols, but he knew I knew if the hospital was full, that is exactly the type of rules that would be bent. I tortured him until he succombed. In fact, he said "give her whatever she wants, just get her out of my face". Sometimes, you really have to watch out for your own. Of course, it is always better if they like you, but there are times when you have to be demanding and relentless.

Shakey, great point to make about the high maintenance of chronic medical patients.

Another thing people do not understand is that many of the very best doctors have the most cases against them because they are getting the referrals for the most acutely ill patients, in tertiary care centers, etc. Poor outcomes are so much more likely with the "re-do, re-dos" People basically sue for poor outcomes even when it is not anyone's fault.

I'm having surgery in a couple of weeks.:( Fortunatley, I'm supposed to go home the same day. I know what's supposed to be done and I know the routine. I'm familiar with the hospital (patient care good, administration billing etc. not so good).

I have faith in my Dr. and we've been down this road before. I realize that as a patient I have certain responsibilities I have to take for myself! Drs, nurses and hospitals are not perfect. I'm not afraid to ask questions.

Growing up my father was a hospital administrator. I know how hospitals are supposed to work. I've known dozens of Drs and nurses. The good the bad and the ugly. It's important to know as much about your medical situation as possible and even take records with you to the hospital. Also have a family member or close friend know what's going on who can also advocate for you if you're not in a condition to do it yourself.

I've found the good health care providers don't mind answering questions. Even if you have to push them sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom