Suspension of all diving and watersports activities in Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Longimanus has been a topic at Ras Nasrani for a while. I was working for the dive center that pulled a swimmer minus his foot (incidentally he was also Russian). This was in November 08. Ras Nasrani has an immediate drop off to 300m and then a 1000m hole before the Tiran Strait.

I believe this a territorial dispute between a large shark and swimmers who are oblivious to the signs of the shark underneath them. Longimanus is also designed to be a curious shark, investigating any potential food source.

But given the bites of different people, but at the same period of time (end of year), my money is the shark is establishing territory for mating, and has the size to do it.

Hi,

What is the source for this?
Did one or more of them die??

Regarding the people who were attacked, maybe the shark was a "fussy eater" and had a taste for Russians...
No seriously, this is sad for the people, and the shark, just when everyone is trying to have sharks protected....

The other comments about people trampling reefs, and feeding, well I was diving with a guy from Ukraine about a month ago in Honduras, and he was picking up things, grabbing sponges, picking up shells, tried to grab a turtle..... I was hoping he would grab the stone fish we saw....

Whats wrong with look, but dont touch...

CDWS statement update (3 December 2010 14:00): CDWS members and staff conduct exploratory dives along Sharm el Sheikh coast.

On Thursday 2 December two sharks were caught by the South Sinai National Park on the Sharm el Sheikh coast. The National Park is currently studying the results of an autopsy and a detailed study of photographic evidence. No further details have been provided by the South Sinai National Park, headed by Dr Mohammed Salem, with regards to this operation or reasons why the animals could not be relocated to remote waters as was previously suggested.

Recent reports from doctors in Cairo indicate that the condition of the three injured snorkelers - two females from Russia and one male from the Ukraine - remains unchanged. One of the victims is still in a critical condition.

Late on 2 December the Ministry of Tourism ordered the closure of all beaches and dive sites along the Sharm el Sheikh coastline, with the exception of Ras Mohamed National park on Friday 3 December.

CDWS has monitored the situation closely and will continue to work with shark experts and authorities to determine why the three attacks happened. CDWS chairman Hesham Gabr highlighting is echoing his previous statement that people should remain calm and that this was an extremely rare incident.

CDWS would like to clearly state that as an organisation it does not wish to see any harm to any further sharks. Therefore, Hesham Gabr highlighting acquired the approval of both the Minister of Tourism and the Governor of South Sinai to allow exploratory dives to take place today, Friday 3 December, where photographic evidence and details of any sightings can be recorded and reported back to the Ministry of Tourism.

At this time, six groups are currently in the water, each with two photographers, monitoring an area from Near Garden, Naama Bay to Ras Nasrani, Nabq. It is hoped that as a result of these exploratory dives, CDWS will report the dive sites safe and advise the Ministry of Tourism to declare the area open to divers, snorkelers and bathers tomorrow, Saturday 4 December.

Mr Gabr: 'This incident has clearly shocked our community and the CDWS is continuing its investigation into why this may have happened. It is clear from our initial discussions with shark behavioural experts that this highly unusual spate of attacks by an oceanic white tip shark was triggered by an activity, most probably illegal fishing or feeding in the area. Once again, our thoughts go out the victims and their families at this time.'

If you ever have the "pleasure" to watch hundreds of russian snorkelers at the Blue Hole in Dahab walking over the reef, ignoring everybody and everything trying to stop them, you would come to the same conclusion. 99% of these Russians are completely ignorant idiots!
Sure, many Russians are just like that. But (1) you got what you asked for when you guys broke the Iron Curtain and (2) what this has to do with random shark attacks and coral bleeching that happen everywhere?

Sure, many Russians are just like that. But (1) you got what you asked for when you guys broke the Iron Curtain and (2) what this has to do with random shark attacks and coral bleeching that happen everywhere?

Hmmm, judging by your immigration date, the fall of the wall agreed with you...

Sure, many Russians are just like that.
Yep
But (1) you got what you asked for when you guys broke the Iron Curtain and...
Well, actually I was not involved in that!
...(2) what this has to do with random shark attacks and coral bleeching that happen everywhere?
I don´t know - probably nothing...
You brought it up!
When sharks attack 60-80 people annually worldwide, this is mean sharks attacking some nice people. When they attacked Russian tourists, this is nice shark attacking mean Russians who deserved it.

When I see reefs near Florida keys bleached out, I am told that this is global warming or African algae. When this happens in Egypt, this is only because too many Russians come there.

there are so many rumours now it is getting silly.

Three victims, not 4 - as far as I know this is confirmed. One rumour suggests 8 other people were attacked today. This is not true. As of 6.30pm today there are no fatalities although one victim is still in critical condition.

We heard on the marine radio today that snorkerllers at Ras Za'atar were approached by a shark. This is widely regarded as crap, and more likely to be a milk fish or a spanish mackerel.

Two sharks were killed. The first shark slaughtered was not an oceanic white tip - it has been identified by some as a Mako - unconfirmed - but the picture I saw does not look like a longimanus - the teeth are the wrong shape, for a start.

The egyptian guy who rescued the victims is a friend of some of my colleagues - he clearly identified the shark as having a chunk missing from one of its fins. I do not know the guy personally but he seems to be highly regarded and if he has identified the fish, I will take his word for it.

Spare instructors and dive guides have been searching the area today. Nobody saw a thing.

Sharm is open for business as of tomorrow morning. My own dive centre will be visiting Tiran but we are very strongly recommending that snorkellers stick to our house reef in Naama bay. Several of the guides working tomorrow, including myself, will not allow snorkellers in the water until we have positive confirmation that the "rogue" shark has been removed.

Why it happened, nobody knows. Discussion around the centre today has focussed around the idea that it is a direct result of fish-feeding; all too common here.

Will keep you posted.

C.

I work in Russia. I also have a Russian girlfriend who is wonderful and thinks like a Canadian, ie: rationally, which is awesome. We have been on many vacations together and yes, Russian tourists, for the most part, are completely ignorant when it comes to respecting boundaries, and I do mean for the most part! If you mention nicely or point out that they shouldn't be doing something, they will look at you like you are an idiot and argue that they are in the right, or just play dumb. Russians believe everything will either work or be fine all of the time, where as North Americans and Western Europeans will always have some doubt or caution until something is proven. Trust me, I've been working in Russia long enough to know. I see it first hand and hear this multiple times on a daily basis, "don't worry, it'll be ok it'll be ok", and it usually never is. You would think that me being right most of the time would sink in but sadly, no. I can only argue for so long before I have to let someone fall on their face to prove I was right.

That being said I do respect many of my Russian colleagues, I have made many friends in Russia and have met many good Russians while on vacation also. The previous is only my general observations through experiences I've had while being immersed in Russian culture. I'm not trying to bash anybody, just telling it how it is.

My girlfriend and I are heading down to Sharm in January for some diving. I hope all stays well with the shark situation. My condolences to the victims in this unfortunate scenario and nobody should have to experience that, especially on vacation. Also unfortunate for the shark population in the area as well. When it comes right down to it, they are wild animals and this is not the sharks fault. We are in their house when we enter the water and are basically at their mercy. I hope there is more respect shown for the marine environments from the resorts in respect to the previous post about resorts dumping food into the water. This practice can only end up one way, bad.

Our last dive trip was to the Maldives and it was spectacular! I was surrounded by 8 manta rays on one dive! One of the most surreal days of my entire life! We saw a few sharks on a couple of the dives too. They were curious but they kept their distance. If I remember correctly, some had black markings and some had white, on their fins. I thought I would have been more nervous but I was actually quite calm. My first shark encounter.

Can anyone recommend a great dive center in Sharm?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom