Suspension of all diving and watersports activities in Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not dived Sharm area for about five years as I was pretty much disappointed by all dead corals comapred to when I dived there in the mid-90s (Jackson, Thomas and Gordon reefs excepted).

I also attended a conference where I noticed many Russian tourists standing on the reef, feeding fish from scraps provided by the hotel.

I wonder if any of those attacked were wearing yellow fins?

What a ludicrous thing to say. Have you read what injuries these people sustained?

No it isn't. Having been to this area many times, I have watched some unbelievable things done to bring the fish closer. Many many Russians there stomp and tear at the corals, dig at the giant clams, and try to lure the fish in with food and bait. They all are clearly told the laws and regulations against all of that, yet they consistently do it.
I have to wonder about the circumstances, too.

Last edited:
I have not dived Sharm area for about five years as I was pretty much disappointed by all dead corals comapred to when I dived there in the mid-90s (Jackson, Thomas and Gordon reefs excepted).

I also attended a conference where I noticed many Russian tourists standing on the reef, feeding fish from scraps provided by the hotel.

I wonder if any of those attacked were wearing yellow fins?
Yep. I've watched many take scraps and food from the all inclusive buffets to feed the fish, though they were clearly told not to.

It is a tragedy both for the snorklers, for the shark and maybe even for Sharm if they don't manage to address the situation.

I have a sinking feeling that they will probably kill the shark should they find it, and no matter what the victims were doing at the time, their lives have been devastated.

I do however agree that these sharks do not generally attack unprovoked, I too have witnessed so many people feeding the fish (lots of smaller fish milling around a snorkler in deep water is bound to attract the wrong kind of attention), and heard of liveaboards throwing in bits of chicken in order to attract the very sharks that we are talking about (sadly referring to the incident last year with the French lady). Maybe people will finally start listening and actually following and implementing the rules. The actions of a few may end up ruining things for everyone else.

I have lived here for five years, and previous to the incident in Marsa Alam, had only heard of two previous incidents of shark attack here, and both involved spear fishing.

Once again, regardless of circumstances, my thoughts are with the victims and their families... a terrible day for everyone.

Maybe people will finally start listening and actually following and implementing the rules.
We can hope..
shakehead.gif

My condolences go out to the injured and their families.

Unfortunately more bad press for the sharks. Saw an interesting article on a marine park in Greece. Far more people are killed by bees..

On the up side good news if there are lots of sharks about :D They are wonderful to dive with, amazing creatures.

I hope they dive deep and keep safe..

This is quite an interesting link :

10 Most Dangerous Animals in the World | Scienceray

And.... (drum roll).... the most dangerous animal on earth ?

1. The Mosquito

I bet you were expecting the most vicious most scary animal but the biggest killer in the whole world… is the mosquito. Thanks to its ability to spread diseases with an alarming efficiency, the mosquito makes its way into #1. Best known for spreading Malaria, mosquitoes also spread elephantiasis, yellow fever and West Nile Virus.

Fatalities a year:2-3 million (wow)

Update:

This is information I gathered this morning from a colleague who has a friend who was involved in the rescue of the victims. There is still some confusion and I cannot guarantee that this information is 100% accurate.

There were 3 victims in total. It would appear that two ladies were attacked at the same time and a man attacked later in a separate incident. The injuries sustained apparently include several severed limbs - but difficult to ascertain which victim is missing which body part.

According to the witness, there was no attempt to feed the shark. This does not discount the possibility that the victims were feeding other fish. The shark then sees lots of small fish nibbling away at a larger flapping creature; potentially misidentified as a dead dolphin, which would be one plausible explanation for the attacks.

The shark involved in the attack apparently has a chunk missing from the upper lobe of its caudal (tail) fin - or possibly its dorsal fin. If anybody has a profile photo this might help to identify it - of course, the injury might be quite recent which might explain a frightened animal on the defensive.

I understand one shark has been caught and killed this morning but there were no human body parts found inside the stomach. I do not know if the missing limbs were swallowed, but I am told that some were recovered, in which case a shark might have been pointlessly slaughtered.

That's all I have right now - I can't confirm 100% personally.

Ras Mohamed national park is still open, the shoreline from Travco to Tiran is completely closed for swimming and diving. At the present time, this applies to tomorrow (3rd December) as well. National Park entry fees (5 Euros per day) have been waived whilst the rest of the area remains closed.

Cheers

C.

Just one thing on my mind (I'm not a marine biologist, so bear with me): what was the shark doing so close to the shore? Is this common? As I understand it, the oceanic white tip is a deep water shark, usually found in open waters, not by coastlines.

Also, why are all beaches except Ras Mohammed closed?

Ras Mohammed brings in park entry fees.

Also, there is little or no swimming or snorkeling there and divers are hardly ever the object of shark attacks once they have descended from the surface.

Update:
=====================
Latest member update: suspension of diving and watersports activities

Sharm el Sheikh, 2 December 2010 12.30pm

CDWS would like to communicate to its members that the Ministry of Tourism has given instruction that the same restrictions on diving and watersports activities will continue tomorrow, 3 December 2010. All beaches are closed to the public and all diving and watersports activities in the Sharm el Sheikh area are suspended with the exception of the Ras Mohamed area.

The National Park has also confirmed that tomorrow (3 December) no fees would be charged to all licensed CDWS member diving and snorkelling boats entering the Ras Mohammed Marine Park area.
=====================

According to the witness, there was no attempt to feed the shark. This does not discount the possibility that the victims were feeding other fish. The shark then sees lots of small fish nibbling away at a larger flapping creature; potentially misidentified as a dead dolphin, which would be one plausible explanation for the attacks.

The shark involved in the attack apparently has a chunk missing from the upper lobe of its caudal (tail) fin - or possibly its dorsal fin. If anybody has a profile photo this might help to identify it - of course, the injury might be quite recent which might explain a frightened animal on the defensive.
You're stretching the limits of plausibility, perhaps in an attempt to absolve the shark of being a predator. Longimanus has quite a history of eating humans, so there's no reason to think it needs to mistake one for a dolphin and there's no reason to think it has to be frightened (do sharks get "frightened"?) and on the defensive to attack.

I understand one shark has been caught and killed this morning but there were no human body parts found inside the stomach. I do not know if the missing limbs were swallowed, but I am told that some were recovered, in which case a shark might have been pointlessly slaughtered.
I think I saw this in a movie somewhere. Any license plates in the stomach? I guess they can drop the charade of capturing the shark and relocating him to "safe" waters, as reported earlier. Let's hope they find a suitable scapegoat before they kill too many. I guess stopping the Russian fish feeds is out of the question.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom