Suunto Cobra vs. Sherwood Wisdom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Snapper

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am contemplating buying one of these two computers and just wanted to see if I could receive some feedback on both models.
Positve & Negative. Problems? Cool features?

Thanks for your time and feedback in advance!

I don't really know much about the sherwood computer other than my lds (sherwood dealer) telling me its wonderful. I do own and enjoy using my cobra. It's a very small unit (without the compass) and offers a lot of great features. Probably can't go wrong with either one, but I feel more confident in Suunto's dive computers.

A search here on AI or air integrated should show quite a few threads discussing the pros and cons of AI computers in general.

Both computers are good choices for AI computers. A couple significant differences between them are 1) the Wisdom nitrogen loading bargraph is much more useful than the NDL bargraph of the Cobra, and 2) the Cobra uses a deco model which monitors your underwater profile and reduces future NDL dive times in response to bubble-prone behaviors such as rapid ascents and sawtooth/yo-yo profiles.

Bargraph Like other computers built by Pelagic and sold under many brand names, the Wisdom has a nitrogen loading bargraph, sometimes called a tissue loading bargraph. It is kind of like a graphical display of the pressure groups from a table, except that the computer looks at the compartments of all the different halftimes and displays the highest loading.
The Cobra just displays a graphical version of the NDL time. Since your NDL below 30' is going to be very long, even if your tissues are rather heavily loaded, the Cobra will bargraph will show "all clear" as long as you are not in deco. OTOH, if you have heavy N2 load, the Wisdom will show this on the bargraph, and you can extend the shallow portion of your dive until you run the bargraph down to your desired safety margin.

Deco model The Wisdom runs the same deco model as used for the PADI RDP. It has no fudge factors for things like reverse profiles, too rapid of an ascent, or repeated large up and down excursion in depth. You are responsible for adding the extra conservatism required to account for these sorts of dive profiles.

The Suunto has more conservative NDLs, and will further adjust them downward in response to problems in the profile of your previous dives, such as a too rapid ascent. Suunto uses the term "Suunto RGBM" to describe this, although it is really just an attempt to emulate RGBM algorithms by adjusting the limits on a classic dissolved gas model.

Manual for both computers are online at www.sherwoodscuba.com and www.suunto.com .

I have the Cobra. It is very easy to use. Great piece of equipment! You can't go wrong with this computer for recreational diving.

Best of luck!

I have a Cobra with the compass attachment and am satisfied with it so far. Mine became defective after 3 months and had to be replaced. Not sure where you are getting yours but I saved over $300. buying mine online from LeisurePro. They replaced the defective one within days after receiving it. Good luck with your decision.:shades:

I've used a number of different computers over the years and if you are looking for an AI computer with a hose, I have found the Cobra to be one of the best. With the compass on your wrist (I prefer this), you have a small, concise, reliable and flexible computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom