Suunto computers and sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Either I am very unlucky, or Suunto has an issue with the sensors on their computers. I've gone through 2 computers in the past month and both began self-diving after 1 good dive (a Vyper and a Gekko)
Is this common in computers? I posted a thread a week ago asking about computer recommendations and I received a lot of Suunto recommendations...I'm beginning to wonder why.
Would I have better luck with a different company? I am very tempted to purchase another Vyper, but may end up going with a Mares Puck Pro or a Hollis DG03

I have owned 2 SUUNTO computers personally and my non-profit owned 10 Gekko's. I bought my most recent SUUNTO Cobra III a few months ago. The Gekko's were not SUUNTOS best product and they did have an issue with a bad batch of the depth sensors self diving as evidenced by 3 of mine doing so and a conversation with SUUNTO at DEMA a few years ago.

I've read similar issues, I've owned 3 Suuntos and no issues, well my Mosquito died but I'd been using it for a while. I'm assuming Suunto is covering these under warranty? Certainly sounds like you've had some bad luck. Hope it gets resolved for you.

Thanks guys.
Pretty much got the your OOL on one of the computers. Didn't even bother calling for the other since the seller gave me a money-back guarantee.

My Mosquito's sensor packed in, but it did receive some fairly heavy use before that. It started telling me I was on the surface when I was at 20m. Luckily for me all the customers had computers on their shop kit when it happened.

It didn't put me off. I've had two suuntos since, another mosquito and a Vytec DS, both without issue. I don't think its an inherent problem with suuntos, just that it sometimes happens. They do sell rather a lot around the world and although a few break down, they still have a good average.

My depth sensor went bad on my Cobra but I had a few hundred dives on it and it lasted about 8 years. I was bummed about it but I felt 8 years was a good life.

I had a few problems with Suunto's too. My first was the Spyder, sensor went but was replaced completely FOC. The I upgraded to the Stinger as needed Nitrox, first one worked for a few years then had some bad luck. When the battery was changed some condensation inside caused it to fail, was changed at a dealer so Suunto replaced it FOC, then the sensor went a couple of years later, again the insides changed FOC, the 4th time it happened I needed to pay 100USD to change it to a new one, then had 2 more times the sensors or the buttons failed.
Sounds a lot but this is over 13 years and about 6,000 dives, so not so bad. Mostly the problems were fixed FOC or at little cost.
Now it is my pool watch as one of the buttons keeps sticking and I use an Aladin for ocean dives.

I like Suunto computers and have good luck with them and not one has failed me. I had a couple UWATEC Air go belly up with the tank pressure sensor. They were replaced free of charge.

That said many of the computers are throw away if some goes wrong with them after the warranty ends. In the USA Suunto gives a descent pro-rated warranty of 5 years. Which is nice. But the general components are the same so why not fix them rather than trash them?? This is not a specific dig on Suunto but really aimed at many consumer goods.

Back
Top Bottom