Suunto D9 and Galileo Luna opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good points, guys.....the only scuba computer I've used is the Suunto Gekko.... (plenty of freediving with a D3, too)....I've heard a lot about the conservative Suunto algorithm - maybe the Galileo is a better choice for that reason alone.... I went to a dove shop yesterday to look at the D9 and the Galileo side by side. Didn't love the D9 - not easy to read....the Vyper size looked better.... but the Galileo is incredibly easy to use, and the digital compass is actually useable..... maybe I could live with the size.....there's even a no-charge freedive software upgrade for the Galileo......

I have dived with a D9 for about 3 years. I like the size for an air integrated computer. It is actually easier to read underwater. I agree with others who feel the compass is okay.

What I really think you may want to consider is the ability to replace the battery yourself. I just bought a Luna after my D9 battery died as I was starting a week long dive trip. It was my fault not to check, but not being in the US and needing a battery change was very frustrating. Consider buying a computer that you can change the battery in case such an occasion arises. (and always carry an extra battery kit!)

I think you will be happy whichever you choose.

....... I'm considering the D9 and the Luna .......

Not to confuse you anymore, but did you check the OC1? Very intuitive - menu driven - navigation (similar to the LUNA) and dual algorithm.

We have created training videos for the OC1 and we are now about to do the same for the Sol (same as the LUNA + the heart monitor).

We should have Online Specialty Classes for both Sol/Luna and OC1 by the end of November.

Alberto

Charlie59: have you used your Luna yet? Any thoughts on its usability compared to the D9? Id be interested in your thoughts, since you have experience with the D9.
Divenav: I did some reading on the OC1, including a perusal of the manual, and found it a lot tougher to understand than the Luna. I'm no genius with dive computers, so I'm looking for something easy to use and understand. Maybe I could learn the OC1, but I found the documentation pretty intimidating. Nice thing about the Luna is that the buttons have labels that appear below them, so you get walked through the menus.

.....I did some reading on the OC1, including a perusal of the manual, and found it a lot tougher to understand than the Luna. I'm no genius with dive computers, so I'm looking for something easy to use and understand. Maybe I could learn the OC1, but I found the documentation pretty intimidating. ....

Did you look at the tutorial videos ?

As I said previously, we should have the OC1 (and Sol) online specialty classes up and running by the end of November. The classes double up as online multimedia manuals.

Alberto

.....Charlie59: have you used your Luna yet? Any thoughts on its usability compared to the D9? Id be interested in your thoughts, since you have experience with the D9....

This is a preview of what we are preparing for the Galileo

AM

So far so good. Easy to read the Luna and the compass is great. Easy to set up for nitrox with easy to use menu. The ir download is clearly a plus (not to mention should be able to upgrade software with ir).

The size is kind of an issue. More people make fun of me for using the Luna as a watch than they did with the D9. Overall though, few complaints about the D9 except the battery. Some have mentioned the conservative nature of Suunto. Not sure it is an issue, but I cut the RGBM to 50% and noted little difference in bottom time compared to most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom