Suunto EON Core? Where did this come from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50% more? How so? What calculator did you use to figure out 50%?

After a brief search, the closest I could find to a fair comparison was the Ratio iX3M Tech+ is $1190 without transmitter and the Perdix is $849 without transmitter. That's 40% more for the Ratio iX3M. The Perdix with Transmitter is $1184 while the Ratio iX3M Tech+ was $1534 (had to buy two separately as I couldn't find a package deal). That puts the Ratio at 30% more expensive than the Perdix AI with transmitters. That also doesn't include the $300 o2 analyzer upgrade.

After a brief search, the closest I could find to a fair comparison was the Ratio iX3M Tech+ is $1190 without transmitter and the Perdix is $849 without transmitter. That's 40% more for the Ratio iX3M. The Perdix with Transmitter is $1184 while the Ratio iX3M Tech+ was $1534 (had to buy two separately as I couldn't find a package deal). That puts the Ratio at 30% more expensive than the Perdix AI with transmitters. That also doesn't include the $300 o2 analyzer upgrade.

30% is very different from 50% here :)

Ratio does not have any of that. Investing in Ratio AI is somewhat of a gamble until their AI has been around long enough, and used by enough people, to really show whether their AI is as reliable as their competition's.
How do you know if Ratio didn't have one of the other vendors make their transmitter for them?? :)

That's just a very rough ballpark number. It's actually 30% more
That is a grossly rough ballpark indeed.

My phone is waterproof (against only splashes or drop in a puddle, of course). And I keep it along with my electronic key fob for my truck in a drybag on the boat. No need to take it out at all while on the boat, for the Subsurface location service to work.

I have my gps on my wrist in the water while on my way to the descent point and on my wrist, again, on the surface after my ascent no issues at all and it is extremely convenient. I didn't think before I got my Ratio how convenient it will be until I got it and used it.

So far, from other posts here on SB, I would have to say that Ratio has not yet proven themselves to be so committed to taking care of their customers. The jury is still out.

For me so far, Ratio technical support has been VERY patient, responsive and eager to take care of me. One example was when I couldn't figure out how to install sensor on the Analyzer since the booklet didn't have pictures to demonstrate the procedure. They responded to me within hours and asked me to wait for a couple of days and then they sent me a link to a new video showing the entire procedure. They produced the video to take care of me and other users who have the same issue. This is one example of their excellent service so far.

Note: I haven't had ANY reliability or service issues so far with the Ratio computer I have.

Aeris, Oceanic, Hollis, Aqualung, Sherwood, Tusa, and Shearwater.

Aeris is dead and is a rebranded computer not a true independent dive computer vendor and so is Hollis. Hollis appears have gotten out completely from the dive computer business so far btw. Sherwood and Tusa rebrand their computers and buy them from PPS and not just the transmitter I believe (but not sure). So it is only AL, the owner, Oceanic (but was bought out by Huish group and its future isn't certain) and Shearwater.

I will just have to eat my words
You will soon and you will have to buy me steak dinner while you are eating your own words :)

Last edited:
Perdix AI with transmitter which is a better computer

I don't get how you claim that the Perdix is a better computer at all. Why, how, when???

a dedicated O2 analyzer which is easier to use and is the same "number" of gadgets because you have to bring the extra analyzer adapter with you

A VERY small adapter compared with the standalone. It also calibrates itself with no need for any manual calibration by the user.

Nautilus lifeline which is more useful as an emergency GPS transmitter if you get lost since it can call for help
And it is inconvenient to use as a GPS to mark your spots frequently and quickly. I wouldn't be messing around with an emergency device and use it on regular basis for non-emergency purposes. If it is meant for emergency, use for emergency only.

On the PPS transmitter side, something tells me that that transmitter isn't going away anytime soon with PPS being sold to Aqualung

No one here said that it was going away (not yet at least) but the honeymoon with the other vendors, especially Oceanic, may end unexpectedly.

@BurhanMuntasser because I dive a Shearwater now, and I have used the Ratio. The Shearwater has a much better user interface for technical diving and that alone makes it a better computer to use. Hardware wise? unsure, don't care, but the user interface is what matters to me when I'm diving it.

Self calibration is VERY scary to me.

If you use the GPS all the time, and it's a huge part of your diving because you shore dive and can't or don't want to place market buoys, then the GPS is a great option and it may be enough for me to consider spending up for it.

On the transmitter. The FCC MH8 code can be licensed from PPS if Aqualung allows it, but Shearwater may be able to make it compatible with other transmitters via firmware update if it came to that, though Aqualung would be stupid to pull the plug on that

How do you know if Ratio didn't have one of the other vendors make their transmitter for them?? :)

I have my gps on my wrist in the water while on my way to the descent point and on my wrist, again, on the surface after my ascent no issues at all and it is extremely convenient. I didn't think before I got my Ratio how convenient it will be until I got it and used it.

For me so far, Ratio technical support has been VERY patient, responsive and eager to take care of me. One example was when I couldn't figure out how to install sensor on the Analyzer since the booklet didn't have pictures to demonstrate the procedure. They responded to me within hours and asked me to wait for a couple of days and then they sent me a link to a new video showing the entire procedure. They produced the video to take care of me and other users who have the same issue. This is one example of their excellent service so far.

You will soon and you will have to buy me steak dinner while you are eating your own words :)

Even if PPS made the transmitter for Ratio, it's still a new design and thus, unproven.

I agree that having GPS built in to log dive site locations automatically, would be nice. Just not something I'd spend an extra $300 for. Especially when I get the same result for free by having my phone in a dry bag on the boat with me.

I'm not talking about their tech support (though the fact that you even NEEDED tech support for something so basic is a bit telling). I'm talking about customer service. As in the less-than-ideal service reported here:

iX3M Deep/Tech+/Reb (Ratio computers)

I will be happy to buy you a steak dinner if I have to eat my words. I will probably follow my words with a steak for me, too. :D

I'm not talking about their tech support (though the fact that you even NEEDED tech support for something so basic is a bit telling).

They handled the situation much better than expected. They customer service in dealing with me over the last several months and answering all types of questions so patiently was exceptional.

I will be happy to buy you a steak dinner if I have to eat my words. I will probably follow my words with a steak for me, too.

When we meet, we will have steak anyways regardless of your having to eat your words :)

because I dive a Shearwater now, and I have used the Ratio. The Shearwater has a much better user interface for technical diving and that alone makes it a better computer to use. Hardware wise? unsure, don't care, but the user interface is what matters to me when I'm diving it.

My next report was going to be about "How easy it is to use the computer and how to make adjustments to the settings with the Ratio computer" :)

I am most familiar with the Suunto line of computers since they were the primary computer(s) for me since circa mid 90's and I felt "challenged" the first couple of dives with the Ratio computer just because I am more used to the Suunto's. Your using the Ratio computer for few dives when compared to your using the Shearwater and your apparent inherent bias will surely color your judgement and most likely give you a mental block towards the unfamiliar and personal biases in your subconscious :)

Self calibration is VERY scary to me.

You are jumpy scared in addition to biased.

@BurhanMuntasser my bias is actually to find a computer that I like better than the Shearwater so I'm specifically looking for one to be better and wanting it to be better.
Suunto's in comparison to the ratio are quite terrible, but the Shearwater just makes it so stupid easy to navigate, especially in water for gas switches, is something that no one else has been able to get to

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom