Suunto Gekko computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gecko is a great entry level computer -it can even be PC downloaded.

It lacks a decent backlight (the glow screen is awful) and a gauge mode but other than that has everything.

It lacks a decent backlight (the glow screen is awful) and a gauge mode but other than that has everything.
I'd wager an imaginary air fill that you have a bright primary light. I say that because I use at most a 4- or 8-C LED primary (which is off most of the time, anyway), and I wish my Vyper2 had a glow-in-the-dark layer, too. I like the electroluminescent backlight, but it has a much poorer fade-to-black characteristic than my Gekko. The Gekko gradually fades over five or ten minutes, while the Vyper2 is on-on-on-on-on-on-*off*.

If I used much more light, I'd have to keep charging the Gekko to keep it adequately bright for my non-dark-adjusted eyes, but with the minimalist amount of light I use, I may charge it three times in an AL80's time at 72 feet.

Guess it's a case of to each his own. :biggrin:

Great computer. I wold never buy one that did not have the backlight display though

I'd wager an imaginary air fill that you have a bright primary light. I say that because I use at most a 4- or 8-C LED primary (which is off most of the time, anyway), and I wish my Vyper2 had a glow-in-the-dark layer, too. I like the electroluminescent backlight, but it has a much poorer fade-to-black characteristic than my Gekko. The Gekko gradually fades over five or ten minutes, while the Vyper2 is on-on-on-on-on-on-*off*.

Then needs 2 hands to read you computer - i found the "charge" in typical murky dark conditions at depth here lasts at most 20 seconds so had to keep shining a light on it to read. In which case i may as well have just dedicated a light to it the whole dive.

Also the number of scratches on my computer protector means shining a bright light on it doesnt always mean you can read it.

Guess it's a case of to each his own.

Yep but its my reason for buying a vyper over a gecko - i find the geckos excuse for a light unusable :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom