Suunto mystery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Suunto Stinger and it has the ability to have the computer turned "OFF". So no matter what happens on the plane (pressure, water, actu of god) the computer will not recognize and pressure changes as diving. Problem solved.

SB member stiggy is reporting a similar type problem in another thread on this forum.

Sounds like Suunto might have a manufacturing issue; though this would only be speculation on my part. According to stiggy, the problem seems to be related to a recent lot of computers; not older computers. Definitely could be some sort of quality control problem. But again, I speculate. I own a Gekko and love it. I would hate to see Suunto have their brand name tarnished but I guess it's happened before. Don't know.

Thanks for the insightful information. I have several trips coming up to Mexico and Dominica I plan on taking my equipment along on. Except on these trips my computer will ride up front with me and see how it behaves. On the Dominica trip there will be two other Cobra computers on board. It will be interesting to compare side by side the same info from our the trip and dives.

Have you tried transporting the computer in a small Pelican case? That's how I carry mine (Suunto and Uwatec) an I haven't had a problem, but I have not exposed the case to conditions as extreme as what you describe.

Have you tried transporting the computer in a small Pelican case? That's how I carry mine (Suunto and Uwatec) an I haven't had a problem, but I have not exposed the case to conditions as extreme as what you describe.

I've heard there can be issues with transporting computers in Pelican and other sealed, vented cases, so be careful. I'm glad you haven't had any problems.

The issue, I'm told, is that the case has a vent which automatically lets out the "high-pressure" sea level air as you ascend, but the vent is not two-way (which would defeat the purpose). Once you land, you must manually vent the case with the release valve to rapidly let air back into the case so you can open it, since it will be effectively squeezed close with low-pressure air inside. This rapid pressure change can trigger some kinds of computer to think they're on a dive, and you can't get it out of the dive mode without resetting it somehow.

YMMV, as always... clearly this is not an issue with all computers, if you're not having a problem, but it could be for other people's computers.

Just dove Los Arcos in Puerto Vallarta today and my Cobra computer worked fine. Checked it after I landed two days ago and it appeared to boot up correctly with no problems. Cabin pressure for the 3:16 hour trip was 6500ft. I know where to carry it in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom