Suunto Transmitter on a 6" hose, does type of HP spool matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to put my Suunto transmitter on a 6" hose and am having problems with leaks. I'm taking a 6" hose and HP spool that used to go to a HOG pressure gauge, but when I attach the transmitter I get bubbles. No spool and more bubbles. Of course when the transmitter is screwed directly into the 1st stage, all is good (but it blocks the valve handle). Ditto when I go back to the original configuration with the 6" hose and the gauge. . .

Where am I going wrong?

Hi,
likely to be the spool, indeed. Basically our hoses fit the transmitter as well as our SPG but not sure what other manufacturers use... I used to mount all kind of SPGs on my Suunto hose, so it's kind of standard, at least in Europe. I don't have a diameter at hand right now. Try a buddy's hose to make sure, otherwise the adapter will probably do. Send me a PM if you can't get it sealed...

br, Hendrik

@JohnN - sorry for the wrong advise, after reading Hendrik's post above i took out the adapter and attached the transmitter directly to the 6" hose and it turns out it wasn't needed. I somehow assumed that an adapter was needed because a normal spg (that attaches via a hose) uses a spool and doesn't have an o-ring on the threaded connector while a button spg (that connects directly to the 1st stage) has an o-ring just like the Suunto transmitter i think that's why I assumed that I needed the adapter. I have now tested the attachment while pressurized and there are no leaks - so yeah, the adapter is not needed.

Dauin-1260537.jpg

@Hendrik - after attachment and tightening snug, the o-ring that came with the transmitter is still exposed and can be seen between the transmitter and the hose in the photo below. Is this normal? or should I remove the o-ring like in a normal SPG in the photo above and let the spool o-rings do the sealing? it's currently not leaking though, it just seems odd that the o-ring is visible. thanks
Dauin-1260535-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
the inner o-rings do the sealing but it's not necessary to remove the one seen there. I doubt that you can remove it without damaging it and in case you'd like to go back to the first stage attachment for whatever reason you won't be able to. So it's fine as it is.

br Hendrik

What kind of spool are you using? There are several types.

H.P. High Pressure Swivel Spools with O-Rings Spindle S - Gear Clips & Lanyards : House of Scuba

If you are using one with a rib in the middle (bottom spool in the above advert) I would suggest that you try one of the others.

Also I would suggest that you remove the o-ring from the transmitter as it may be preventing the spool from sealing.

Otherwise, you might put a very small amount of christo-lube on the o-rings.

FWIW, when I used a transmitter on a short hose I connected it with Suunto's Quick Disconnect. That way I could take the transmitter off and stow it with my computer. Suunto Quick Disconnect for Computer Gauges 42144

If you use the quick disconnect, the transmitter screws into the male side just like it would with the first stage (i.e. there needs to be an o-ring on the transmitter, nothing else). The female side of the quick disconnect goes to the HP hose and uses a spool.

Back
Top Bottom