Swap a G250 Body for G250HP body?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other thing to have them look for is a G200/200b body. You can put the guts of a g250 in one......

(there was an upgrade from the G200 to the G250 that was the air barrel and knob....)

couple on EbXX.....

upload_2019-3-27_17-41-47.png

Cool! But, why would I buy the good G200...the top one at $65 says they put the G250 air barrel in it...why would I buy it to swap the cases? Why would I not just dive the G200?

Just curious as I have never heard of a G200 nor do I know the benefits of a G250 over a G200...

BTW, thank you very much for your time and expertise, rhwestfall

It is more that there is a need for a G250 body...which, it sounds like the G250HP body will work.

Then, the question is...is the G250HP worth sacrificing to make one complete G250? This would be a lot easier if the G250HP was a pile of junk on its best day...I just don't know the potential of the G250HP, other than I hear it is inferior to the G250.

The G250HP was a new design to emulate the successful S600. It the long run it didn't really work out. Therefore, the G250V was introduced. With that being stated I had two G250HPs and had great success with them, both in the tropics and in high elevation cold water diving.

I am not surprised you were informed the G250 parts would not fit into the other cases. My posting of the part numbers, early on, should have made this clear.

You have some choices: hunt for a used case, or buy a used G250 on eBay, or buy another second stage. The S600 has been a successful second stage. While the G250 has been a successful reg, there have been improvements over time. Nothing wrong with moving up. Granted people will state the G250 will suffice for all recreational divers. That is similar to making the claim the iPhone will work for everyone who wants a smart phone. Perhaps it will, but not everyone wants the same thing. I have serviced plenty of G250s. It is a nice reg, but there are nicer second stages out there: S600, G250v, G260, and the list goes on. Why the fretting of moving onto a newer second stage? After reading all these posts the option that seems less of a hassle is to retire the broken G250 case and move onto another.

One of the things I've learned about scuba diving is, if you ask ten people to bring their regs in with their opinions about their reg and other regs you'll get one positive review of each reg and nine negative reviews of each reg. This doesn't apply to just regs, other things such as training and other gear also apply.

Cool! But, why would I buy the good G200...the top one at $65 says they put the G250 air barrel in it...why would I buy it to swap the cases? Why would I not just dive the G200?

Just curious as I have never heard of a G200 nor do I know the benefits of a G250 over a G200...

BTW, thank you very much for your time and expertise, rhwestfall

There is no way they put a g250 barrel in it. The g250 is an adjustable, and the adjustment knob would show where the "plug" is in the side (hence it would then be a g250), and be the same regulator you have (without a cracked mouthpiece hub). The adjustable gives you an ability to dune the breathing resistance (cracking effort). The G200 was improved to the G200b, meaning balanced (stable over larger swings of tank pressure). The G250 added a user adjustment... Each is a step up in regulator performance.

That reg may be a g200 upgraded to a g200b

the parts would swap over directly from your G250 into the G200/200b and would give you an upper tier regulator (like you had).

YMMV

Alright, I bought the G200 on e-b-**...the dive shop will swap everything over for free. Then, I will give it a try and if it is aseawes, then great...I get one in great condition for about $100.... including the original parts kit. The dive shop removed the fees for the original rebuild.

I will have G200 guts for sale soon :)

At this point, I do favor an S600...but want to try what everyone is raving about with the G250...and I can't see spending $200 on an older S600 at this moment.

Yep

I have converted 2 or 3 g200/200b seconds to g250 seconds. That generation air barrel is difficult to find now, and is mostly sourced from boneyard parts bins...

As long as it isn't a g250hp or a g250v, parts are swappable in the g series. You just need them to all be from the same era. The g250v parts have some differences from the original g250. The g250hp is a whole different regulator.

Alright, perhaps we can actually close on the question....can you swap G250 parts into a G250HP case...once and for all. I have attached to this comment a document from Scubapro that outlines the "G250 G250HP Compatibility Upgrade Kit".

Hopefully, this thread can be of future divers looking to answer this very question. The advice within this thread, our recorded experiences, and the files attached...should be the majority of what is needed to cover most questions on this subject.

Thanks to everyone here who have given their time, expertise, and shared in their passion for scuba and scuba equipment.

No idea why I am in a profound conclusive mood, right now, but it is Friday, I am messing with my gear and diving all weekend, and I LOVE getting efforts closed out with satisfying resolutions :)

Attachments

• 266 G250G250 HP Compatibility of Upgrade Kit.pdf
    629.5 KB · Views: 119
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom