Swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI - I believe that in lieu of the swim 200 yards you can actually swim with mask snorkel and fins 300 yards. A nice alternative.

My observations in person and the consensus on SB seems to be that this PADI standard is usually interpreted that it is the instructor's choice, not the student's.

As others have mentioned there is no need to swim at breakneck speed... swim really slow and 200m shouldn't be that much. The key is to master the float position well, once you do that you could simply float your way down while pulling yourself forward slowly. Most people tire out because they are fighting to stay afloat without the knowledge that with the right breath control and position the human body will float on water.

The float/tread thing is definately related to energy spent actually swimming. Humans vary greatly in body buoyancy. Some float like a cork (like my wife, who floats vertically in fresh water barely moving feet/arms at all). Others are very negative--like myself-- one who can only float by drown-proofing (letting head slip under holding breath to keep body up). Some have disagreed, but I believe a negative floater expends more energy swimming regardless of stroke, as some energy must go to keeping afloat.

just had to do this part of the course with no fins or means of buoyancy. I found that it is easier to take gain some momentum and glide, gain momentum and glide and repeat the process. For our class, we had to do nine lengths of the pool. While it wasnt terrible, it was a little taxing. It doesnt matter how long it takes you to do it, just has to get done. You can take 50 minutes to do it if you want. Mine was through NAUI. Not sure how PADI is.

The swim test must be done as per your instructors instructions. His/Her instructions will be based upon the standards of the certification agency (NAUI, PADI, SSI, SDI, SEI etc). What is sometimes forgotten is that the instructor is also usually responsible for counting the laps required for the distance. As long as you aren't looking like you are seriously going to drown in the first few laps you may find that you will be finished before you know it. I am not a great swimmer (nor in good shape, unless you count round as a shape) but can perform the test. Also, you may be able to try it a few times as PADI only requires it be completed before certification. Don't overanalyze it and you will be fine.

You seem to have a weird definition of "swim", but in any case, you can use any stroke or combination of strokes that you like. Backstroke, freestyle, breaststroke, sidestroke, your own made-up very awkward stroke, a nice 200m fly if you're ambitious ;p

you'd be surprised how many smart asses have completed a nice 200m fly or blistering freestyle time when I've suggested they do it :wink:

most complete a leisurely breaststroke while chatting and getting to know their fellow diving students and having a laugh.

It depends on the agency and location. My agency does not allow the mask, snorkel,fin option. In Europe it must be a swim. There are instructors that argue against the value of being able to swim for scuba. Saying that you should not or will not enter the water without gear. I am not going to get into that argument here. My feeelings after having participated in the rescue/recovery of a drowning victim made the relationship with being around water and being able to swim crystal clear.
I use the swim and float to also form the basis for buddy skills. Requiring the students to pair up and each pair swim AS SLOW as their buddy while presenting scenarios where being separated could seriously endanger the team really starts to drive home the importance of proper buddy position. During the tread/float students are supposed to stay within arms reach of their buddy in my classes. We usually use this time to discuss the reasons for the buddy system and what can happen when it breaks down.
My feeling, if we are going to teach that the buddy system is to be followed, is to follow it from day one. And to use every opportunity to do so. The watermanship portion is great for that and to also get divers used to communicating with each other and develop their awareness of each othed. On the surface this is easy to do and a great place to start. Then they seem to just do it naturally under water.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I'm not a great swimmer and this was the most daunting part of the certification for me (and it was February so it was freezing!). My PADI instructor let me do a backstroke for 90% of the time. I was the last one out, but I did it.

Our instructor allowed the class to do the swim test with the mask, snorkel and fins. I found that method to be far easier then without. I used a lot less energy doing that test then floating for 10 mins. Not having to use my arms and turning to breathe in addition to the thrust I got from the fins... 6 laps was a breeze with energy to spare. If that's an option it might be one to consider.

I think that doing the swim with at the bare minimum fins would be a much more practical approach. But who am I to speak on a practice that has been the same for years. For some who have lower endurance levels, the swim without could make or break someone or be enough to turn someone off from diving. I am in no means in tip top shape and look like a mini Santa in the belly but made it through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom