Swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could also let someone with an unknown condition get thru and the first time they get in a stressful situation they fold or have a really serious problem. Someone who does not have the endurance to do 200yds may not be in good ehough shape to dive.

The point of a swimtest is not to create a hurdle that you must jump over, it is there for two purposes: the first is to assure that you are not wasting your time and money, that is to say, that you have the comfort in the water and waterskills needed to learn to dive with minimal risk; the second is to assure the instructor of the same things so that he or she will be able to assume that you will be able to keep up with the class and not be an undue burden on the instructor's time and energy.

If you are not a comfortable swimmer, if you can not swim 200 yards (actually I'd say 400 yards) comfortably and in some semblance of style (side-stroke is fine, breast-stroke is fine, free-style is fine, a combination is fine), I think that you would be doing everyone a favor to work on your basic waterskills at the local Y with a swim class before trying to learn to dive.

Actually I'm not a big believer in doing a specific set distance, frankly I can tell in way less than one lenght if you are actually ready. If physical condition is an issue, I'd much rather have that judged by a physician with a stress test than try to do that myself with a distance swim.

The point of a swimtest is not to create a hurdle that you must jump over, it is there for two purposes: the first is to assure that you are not wasting your time and money, that is to say, that you have the comfort in the water and waterskills needed to learn to dive with minimal risk; the second is to assure the instructor of the same things so that he or she will be able to assume that you will be able to keep up with the class and not be an undue burden on the instructor's time and energy.

If you are not a comfortable swimmer, if you can not swim 200 yards (actually I'd say 400 yards) comfortably and in some semblance of style (side-stroke is fine, breast-stroke is fine, free-style is fine, a combination is fine), I think that you would be doing everyone a favor to work on your basic waterskills at the local Y with a swim class before trying to learn to dive.

Actually I'm not a big believer in doing a specific set distance, frankly I can tell in way less than one lenght if you are actually ready. If physical condition is an issue, I'd much rather have that judged by a physician with a stress test than try to do that myself with a distance swim.

One of the best posts I've read (among maybe a hundred) on this thorny subject. The purpose(s) of swim/stamina tests are constantly argued...I've never been perfectly clear myself on exactly what they are. I've proposed before on SB that any mask/fin/snorkel test be lengthened, as this is not really a "skill" or "sport" like swimming, but is simply a measure of leg strength, and is basically the way we dive. It is also snorkelling, which to me is something one should be able to do smoothly before diving. Doing way more than 300 metres this way IMO is still way easier than swimming. I also suggested allowing use of arms, as you would certainly do this if performing a rescue (not figure "gee, I couldn't use arms on the test so I'd better not use them for more speed trying to save that guy".). Then again, there is the arguement that these tests have nothing to do with scuba skills or rescue skills.

I have a stroke I show people that struggle to swim with ease of mind, I call it squid-stroke' lying on ure back and in a pump action flail the arms and legs in uni some to create thrust, easier then treading water if you time the breathing to sync with stroke, if you had to it would keep you alive for longer, Lost at sea without a pfd..... having a course can keep the mind strong
OFFICIAL Somewhere over the Rainbow - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo

Last edited:
I believe that's called the Elementary Backstroke:

elstrokelegsimpr.jpg

I believe that's called the Elementary Backstroke:

View attachment 115788
To call it that would be a marketing disaster.....you will make them feel like tardies they will quit! Its' all the wording!

Too bad, that's what it's been called for a very long time, and if that's the best they can do then they are tardies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom