Swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ruddager

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thinking of learning the whole scuba diving thing but the swimming test is a little daunting.

I'm by no means a non-swimmer and treading water for 10 minutes is no problem, but 200m is a long way for me in the water. I've been reading the "Can people really get certified without knowing how to swim?" thread and I think that's alleviated some of my worries, but I'd still like to know:

Does swimming 200m mean "swim 200m" or "just get 200m through the water somehow"?

I reckon I could backstroke for hours if I had to, but I really tire quickly swimming freestyle. Would that be acceptable?

Does swimming 200m mean "swim 200m" or "just get 200m through the water somehow"?

I reckon I could backstroke for hours if I had to, but I really tire quickly swimming freestyle. Would that be acceptable?

You seem to have a weird definition of "swim", but in any case, you can use any stroke or combination of strokes that you like. Backstroke, freestyle, breaststroke, sidestroke, your own made-up very awkward stroke, a nice 200m fly if you're ambitious ;p

Excellent. Awkward, egg-beater style it will be :)

Another thing I forgot to ask though - are these rules universal or are they likely to vary from school to school?

Excellent. Awkward, egg-beater style it will be :)

Another thing I forgot to ask though - are these rules universal or are they likely to vary from school to school?
The rules are set by the certifying agency (PADI, SSI,...) so they won't vary between two PADI schools, for example.

Just tread water in a "forward direction" for 10 min and you will easily complete 200m :D

Good luck

Here's exactly what PADI say on the matter:

PADI Instructor Manual:
Watermanship

Before Open Water Dive 2, have student divers demonstrate that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too
deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/ float without using any swim aids.

At some point before certification, have students complete a 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim or a 300 metre/
yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel.

There is no specific requirement for a 'recognised' swim stroke, nor time limit.

1) The word 'comfortably' is used: Instructors will generally be looking for calm, controlled performance and some 'ease' in accomplishing the test/s.

2) The word 'continuously' is used: The student must not stop to rest during the tests: meaning seeking temporary support from standing on the bottom or holding onto an object.

NAUI's the same way. They don't define "swimming" as competition freestyle/front crawl. You just have to be at the surface making forward progress.

I would not worry if you can somehow make 200 meters without looking as if you are going to drown or die of exhaustion, you will be fine. There is no requirement on the stroke you use. You can dogpaddle the whole way if that is what you want to do. There is a very low bar for swimming performance in scuba certification.

Ask your instructor in advance. Some no longer require the swim test as the Mask Fins and snorkle is an option. Some instructors like mine never make Open Water students do the actual swim while other might. However should the instructor be one who makes you do it then as mentioned above you can breast stroke, free style, back stroke, doggy paddle and if you get tired you can pause and float on your back a minute or two just not touch the bottom. I did the dive master swim test using virtually every stroke I could think of and every one I could invent.

At some point before certification, have students complete a 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim OR a 300 metre/
yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel.

The above was borrowed from Devondivers post but is no way using his words for or against him just using the quote from the PADI instructor manual

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom