Votes: 18 13.0%
  • 300 to 400 meters

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Over 400 meters

Votes: 83 60.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a strong swimmer before I took my course. I lived for the water! When qual time came for the course I was the first done and out of the pool. Of course I was 14 at the time. :D

I started to learn to swim 3 weeks before I began my certification process... having said that, I am a cyclist so although I don't look like it (I am a heavy guy), I am extremely fit aerobically... I can go all day long at a very, very slow pace. A couple days after I finished the pool I swam 800 meters... albeit VERY slowly... without stopping or touching the bottom. Between the buoyancy my weight gives and the fact that I ride up to 40 miles a day on a bike in the summer giving me all the slow but steady air I need, I can go all day... just slowly.

I grew up on the water. I could swim-not gracefully, but I couldn't tell you how far then...and now. Actually, I plan on taking some formal lessons soon. Look out Phelps, I'm coming for you.

Starting at age 13 I swam every day at the Y to rehabilitate my knee after an ice hockey injury. If you can swim 100 meters what is stopping you from swimming 800 meters? I can breaststroke until I fall asleep. A comfortable crawl stroke should be easily sustainable too, if you are free to go at your own pace.

Group 5. I grew up a competitive swimmer. Swimming always came easy to me.

2-3 hour sessions surfing or body surfing. How many lengths is that?

I've always been a swimmer although I wouldn't call myself a great swimmer.
While in college I took a swimming class and by the end of the class I was a good swimmer. (Still not great)
Not swimming regularly after the class and all I had learned was forgotten.
This past summer I needed to get myself in better shape for DMC.
I knew the swim would be difficult for me to score well. so I concentrated on swimming laps.
It really helped and I lost 12 lbs and surprised myself doing well with all the stamina skills.

Competitive swimmer (distance) and water polo player in HS and college. 30 years later I still know how but the body is not willing! :wink:

Am I correct in that with the crawl you get most of your power (speed) with the arms (thus arm stregthening exercises is best)? Also, how effective is swimming in the ocean (cold) with a 7 mil wetsuit to help build the required muscles (I have limited pool access)?

Am I correct in that with the crawl you get most of your power (speed) with the arms (thus arm stregthening exercises is best)? Also, how effective is swimming in the ocean (cold) with a 7 mil wetsuit to help build the required muscles (I have limited pool access)?

Swimming any distance in the ocean with a 7mm suit is no easy feat and unless the water is <55 a 3mm suit would be a much better choice.

The crawl is the fastest stroke and uses primarily the arms but kicking is also important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom