Switched from TIFF to RAW and now.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again for all the help! I'll get the download.

I use a great little thumbnail viewer/slideshow/converter etc program call ThumbsPlus. It's been around for quite a while and is now at version 7. You can download a demo at www.thumbsplus.com, but you need the pro version, about $70 I think, to view most of the raw image formats. I link this program to Photoshop CS so I can scan my disk for a file to open. Thunbsplus will then start PS. I started using this when XP wouldn't show me a Nikon NEF "raw" thumbnail.

Scubatooth:
Ron

8bit tiff isnt a worthless option, just not a useful straight out of the camera (i would shoot raw or high jpeg not tiff, but thats my opinon). As i have a alot of files that are final images for prints in 8-bit tiffs format.

FWIW

Tooth

Is IMO a wates of many things, camera speed, media space, download time to name three, and it just is not any better than JPG High (as you suggest) based on the testing I've done (prints to 11x14, did not bother to go higher).

I agree that TIFF is a valid format for submitting work, or archiving files. However I also shoot RAW, and with the new DNG RAW standard, TIFF may just go byebye shortly..

I guess I should have been more clear, and said in camera, but then again the original post indicated that is what he was doing... shooting TIFF.

Ron

SeaYoda:
You can view RAW files with Camedia software that comes with the camera.

Here is the latest link for the RAW plugin for PS. I don't know if it works with PS6 but it does for PS7. It is a RAW converter and will convert one image at a time to work on.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/#plugins

GOOD NEWS I just looked and it says it will work with PS6!!!!!!!!

So it WORKS in PS6, happy day. However what can you then DO with the RAW file?

If you can NOT adjust WB, Levels, Noise, Tone, Contrast, Saturation, and many of the OTHER RAW settings, what is the point of shooting RAW???

My guess is this wonderful converter will allow you to view your RAW images, and convert them to 8 bit so you can then save them in jpg -or- TIFF. If that is the case, then one is just better off shooting jpg in the first place as the power of RAW is the ability to apply settings as if one were shooting with those settings.

This will however get you past the point of NOT being able to view the images, however IMO you should consider an upgrade if you are serious about using RAW.

My guess is this wonderful converter will allow you to view your RAW images, and convert them to 8 bit so you can then save them in jpg -or- TIFF. If that is the case, then one is just better off shooting jpg in the first place as the power of RAW is the ability to apply settings as if one were shooting with those settings.
Sorry, your guess is wrong. It is an improved version of their last plugin. Not as powerful as the one by Adobe but it is a reasonable solution if you don't want to upgrade to PS CS.

RonFrank:
...If you can NOT adjust WB, Levels, Noise, Tone, Contrast, Saturation, and many of the OTHER RAW settings, what is the point of shooting RAW???...
The only reason, if you could not work in RAW, is that some day you might have even better software than today. If so, then RAW is a good format to have for later. For the present I do work with SHQ and am quite happy. By experimenting with RAW, I'm just opening options for the future. As ReyeR said, the new plugin is better than the old and can do more with the image - that's an improvement I didn't count on - who knows what's next. I'm still in my first year of u/w photography and it's hard to justify the upgrade to RAW just to say I'm shooting that way.

6.0 does not support RAW. that is why you are not seeing your files. try using your windows Explorer or the Oly program to open it with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom