Switching to NAUI from PADI DM program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twinkles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been a PADI dive master candidate for the past six months. We are no where near done--essentially all we have done is the academics and I have shadowed two classes--one OW and one a tune up.

Admittedly I was frustrated that the instructor never seemed to have time to start the water skills portion of the program. But to be honest, he and I just weren't a good fit overall for some reason.

I was in a NAUI shop my wife prefers to do business with over the weekend. We got to talking about my progress and the content of the course. I started the conversation, there was no selling by the instrutor at all. We spent about an hour talking about what would be involved in switching--starting over completely and loosing my initial investement in PADI materials and instruction. Still I had a good feeling it was the right thing for me.

My wife and I went to lunch and an hour later I came back and signed up.

Sounds like a sad story for you. I guess if you are going to jump ship, it is just money lost. I am sorry for your story.

Won't NAUI's DM convert after you get certed, or is that only for OW, AOW, and RD?

I am not looking for sympathy. I am feeling good about this outcome.

Flfiremedic--they aren't really transferable like OW, AOW, and RD. There are instructor crossover classes, but I have never heard of a DM cross over. Although I was beginning to wonder if I would ever finish that PADI program.

This new shop just seems to have more enthusiasm, customers, and structure.

Congrats on shifting up a gear to work on your cert. There's something to be said for taking your time on DM but if most of that time isn't spent in the water then there's not much point.

Good luck with your new instructor and welcome to NAUI.

They are very different courses and fit differently into the two hierarchies. NAUI's DMs are expected to have all the same knowledge and ability as a NAUI Instructor (which you can get by in the NAUI Master Diver Course) and, in addition, must have the group management and diving leadership stuff specific to a Divemaster (not the instructor material specific to teaching diving).

Actually, if you want an extra silver lining, consider that PADI DM is the lowest "pro" level, and you upgrade from there to AI. In NAUI, DM is *higher* than AI, so you can just consider it a crossover/upgrade. :biggrin:

(In all seriousness, do listen to Thal. The whole background and concept of DM is immensely different when you compare PADI DM to NAUI DM. The names are the same...)

As a brand new NAUI DM, I'd have to say that any time or effort you put into PADI DM will be valuable knowledge and experience toward NAUI DM. (Well, except the PADI Wheel, which you need never think of again, unless you enjoy it and want to. :D) I invested far more time and effort into my DM course than was required, and I believe the instructors with whom I have worked (in my classes and theirs) would agree that I am better because of it.

I went from PADI DM to YMCA DM/AI and now I'm a YMCA Instructor. Best move I ever made. Congrats on the move. You'll also get to actually do something now! NAUI DM's are similar to the Y. You'll get to give lectures, conduct classes, prepare lessons and conduct pool sessions. And you won't have to shell out 2500 bucks to do it! You'll learn to teach by actually teaching instead of having someone tell you how.

Back
Top Bottom